cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really confused, the premise of smart sync is to free up local storage. This is a screenshot of a folder which contains about 2GB of data.  Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjd34t39t0q7312/Screenshot%202017-02-18%2012.03.41.png?dl=0

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Howdy folks,

I’m , I’m working on the Community team at Dropbox & I’m posting here so as to stir this discussion towards a different route. Without further ado, I’m going to split this thread off into a number of different ones, as I’d like to avoid any confusion in regards to the topic or the status of this conversation. 

Why are you splitting the thread?
For context, this thread has been around since last February & a number of very separate (and now resolved) Smart Sync issues have been reported here. This separation was triggered as we like to group distinct issues together to better help users discover relevant content, advice and to help self-resolve.

Don’t worry, no information is being removed, we are however moving some posts into other threads & for that reason, I’m going to include links to all the new threads at the bottom here. 

As an example, this thread contains a lot of information & troubleshooting around an issue we experienced on Mac OS 10.13.3, something now resolved. We wouldn’t want people on 10.13.4 to attempt troubleshooting steps that weren’t relevant to their current state.

But I still have my issue!
We’ve moved all the open discussions into separate threads listed at the bottom. Apologies if we missed yours! Regardless, anyone who has opened a ticket with Support, that ticket will remain open and is unrelated to this split. 

So, has this been solved forever? 
The initial behavior reported here has been, however this thread has become a single point for a vast number of other Smart Sync posts,  some of which should have their own threads, some open, some now resolved.

Where do I post Smart Sync comments now?
Either in one of the below threads - or, if they don’t match the behavior you're getting, you may feel free to create a new one! :slight_smile: As this thread will remain public, you may also use it as a point of reference, so as to let us know of any troubleshooting steps you've followed from those mentioned above. 

Thanks for your co-operation and please keep the discussion going in the below, or new, threads!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
For note, issues caught up in this thread, that should have had their own threads included:

Issue 1: I can’t enable Smart Sync at all
  • Usually this was the result of an incorrect installation & in such cases, re-installing anew helped fix the issue. Alternatively, if you were running a Beta version of the Dropbox app on your desktop, you may need to check if this works on the most updated Stable version (Note: It's currently 48.4.58). 
Issue 2: I’m on a Professional plan & I can’t get Smart Sync to work either
  • Some users on the Professional plan were experiencing an issue utilizing Smart Sync, as they had needed to enable System Extensions previously, which has been documented on this resource. 
Issue 3: I’ve made my files online-only, though they’re still using up my storage locally
  • In some cases, users reported that Smart Synced files might be locally stored in the cache folder a little longer, hence taking up space. Clearing the cache folder should resolve this issue

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Issue 4: I followed the instructions on your resources & set up my files as online-only, though I can see that they’re still taking up space on my pc/ Mac.
  • The Properties (Win) and Get Info (Mac OS) panel will indicate the actual file size instead of the size on disk, as you may expect. “Size on disk” is the space being taken up by a placeholder file and should be around 0kb.
Issue 5: I can see that my Dropbox folder on my Mac OSX (v.42.4.114) reported file & folder size incorrectly, making it look like files were still residing on my hard disk.
  • After further investigation, we were able to determine that the Finder was showing the wrong size on disk for folders with compressed files.
Issue 6: I can’t back-up my online-only files on the TimeMachine migration assistant & whenever it tries to access them, this action brings them back locally
  • This is related to the way TimeMachine reads file sizes and is an on-going issue, though this issue lies with Apple’s software. De-selecting the Dropbox folder when restoring if possible will work around this issue.
Issue 7: Third-party disk management apps report Smart Synced files are present locally.
  • Some third-party app may read the nominal file size rather than the physical size. This is not a Dropbox issue, but down to the way some apps are built.

That's all from me! As usual, I'll be around in case you'd need me to clarify matters in more detail, so feel free to ping me & I'll do my best to check back with you.

Jane
dropbox.com/support

128 Replies 128

ginger_anne
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Fowzie,

I have the same problem. Dropbox automatically started syncing files onto my new laptop (with a very small hard drive). It transfered 20Gb! I have turned off syncing with Selective Sync but there is still 20Gb on my c-drive. Even worse, I can't find any sub folders with more that a few Mb in them so there is nothing to delete.

Have you solved the probelm? Will Dropbox support help?

Thanks!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Ginger - your issue isnt the same. Fowzie is using a totally different feature which is only available as a Business user.

Your issue is probably that the files you removed are still in the local cache. A reboot of your machine should sort it. If not it will clear in a few days.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ginger_anne
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Ah, yes, just getting my head round Selective and Smart Sync. Thanks. This was 2 days ago and have rebooted a few times. The space on my hard drive is going up 2Gb each day!

ginger_anne
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox help does have the detail. Thanks!

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/cache-folder

Sorry Fowzie for hijacking your thread.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Mark...I had a look at the link which Ginger_Anne supplied and found the cache location. I've deleted all of it and rebooted my laptop. Nothing has changed so will have to sit it out for a few days and see what happens.

Thanks ginger_anne too!!

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I don't think smart sync is ready for a general roll out. I'm still having the space being used on my laptop and have followed the steps in the article anfew days ago. Not impressed really. 

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Fowzie

Sorry to hear that. Would you mind reaching out to our support team on https://www.dropbox.com/support so they can troubleshoot it further?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Ed, thanks...yes I've just requested some help. Hopefully we can get it sorted out. 

HoosierRon
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Fowzie, did you ever get thi sproblem solved?  I am experiencing the identical problem.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    ory New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?