cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really confused, the premise of smart sync is to free up local storage. This is a screenshot of a folder which contains about 2GB of data.  Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjd34t39t0q7312/Screenshot%202017-02-18%2012.03.41.png?dl=0

128 Replies 128

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Many apologies for the delay in responding here.

We noticed a bug in High Sierra (10.13) where Finder counts the size of offline files, despite them not actually taking up space. Apple had originally fixed this in 10.12 but it looks like it has re-appeared in 10.13. The files aren't taking up space, though the overall disk space may look like it is in some views.

We've notified Apple and are still awaiting them rectifying the issue.

I'll jump back into this thread once I have a further update.

Many thanks.

ygoffer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm running Sierra 10.13.2 and while selective sync seems to work fine, i.e., files are not stored locally, the macOS still calculates them as taking space.  Any solution for that?

Thank you,

yossi 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Selectively Synced folders (those that you have unchecked) do not exist on the computer* so they cannot take up space. Also, since they're not on the computer, your OS can't include them in its calculation.

* Note: If you've recently removed some folders using Selective Sync, Dropbox has likely moved them to its cache folder temporarily, so they could still be stored locally and taking up space for a short period. Files are held in cache for three days before they're removed, to aid in recovery should it be needed.

dmoses
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem until the 10.13.2 update. Try installing the 10.13.2 supplemental update as well, that might fix your problem.

fransg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Rich: You say "Selectively Synced folders (those that you have unchecked) do not exist on the computer so they cannot take up space. Also, since they're not on the computer, your OS can't include them in its calculation." and theoretically that would be correct.

But for instance the photo collection of 2015 has nog been touched for longer than 3 days and thus should not be in cache, yet they occupy nearly 85 GB in space, at least according to Finder. Now Finder may be wrong, or DropBox may be confusing Finder. I would appreciate if the issue would be sorted and not just by stating "it is all right" 😉

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-23 om 23.07.03.pngSchermafbeelding 2018-01-23 om 23.06.13.png

fransg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dmoses, you say "I had the same problem until the 10.13.2 update. Try installing the 10.13.2 supplemental update as well, that might fix your problem." but I also have 10.13.2 but when I search for Updates there is none.

No updates availableNo updates availablemy versionmy version

dmoses
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Weird, maybe its being rollled out slowly.

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 5.16.28 PM.png

Helio1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same sort of issue (using macOS 10.13.2).  The folder is marked with the gray cloud and shows size 32GB (zero bytes on disk), however each individual file within that folder shows as taking up its full space.

Rako
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Ross 

Thanks for your help but I am on Sierra IOS 10.13 and still have the same issue my Mac even show that i have more data, than what it is even really capable of... 

And then on some other program i foud out I really have 243gb of 500gb aviable... i want to clear more space.. but I can´t since i don know the "real" size of my folders... 

fransg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Rako, you write "on some other program i foud out I really have 243gb of 500gb aviable..." -- can you specify what program exactly?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    ory New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?