yes

53 Comments
29 Likes
Highlighted
aw8
Level 6

Smart Sync still taking up local space

Hi all,

I am using dropbox with smart sync capability on a Mac OS 10.13.

I can switch my dropbox folders to online only mode (green check switches to a gray cloud). When I check the info for my dropbox folder, it shows very little of the data is locally stored (~6MB of the 170GB in this folder). 

However, my Mac thinks the hardrive is full. When I look at the "About this Mac" storage tab, it shows over 180GB of documents that I know are on dropbox smart-sync online only. Because of this, my Mac will not allow me to download any additional files - it believes the hard drive is full. 

I contacted Dropbox support and they said this is an OS issue and not a Dropbox issue and had no solution for me.

Is this something we have to wait for an update from Apple? What is dropbox doing to work towards mediating this? I have searched through the forums and there is not a solution to this issue. This makes Dropbox completely unusable. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 11.50.25 AM (3).png

53 Replies
Super User II

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

How long ago did you enable SmartSync?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

aw8
Level 6

I set up this account in January 2018. It had smart sync enabled from the start. I recently deleted and re-installed Dropbox on my computer and I am still having the same issue. 

Super User II

So the folders you are talking about have been 'Smart Sync'd' since January?

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

aw8
Level 6

This has been happening all along. Whenever I set the folder to "online only," the Mac still thinks it is taking up space on the harddrive. 

Super User II

I dont think it is this then, but, Dropbox has a hidden cache folder. Usually the issue you are seeing is because Dropbox holds files within the cache for a few days after SmartSync is activated.

You could try seeing if you could find it and removing anything in it: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/cache-folder

aw8
Level 6

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. Unfortunately, I tried clearing the cache and it had no effect. 

Super User II

Sorry i cant help any further :(

Level 4

I’m having a very similar issue and hopefully we can solve it together.

I’m using the MacOS format too, I chose online-only from the very first install (during installation), and find that Dropbox still likes to download a significant amount of data before settling itself, not to mention giving the fans on the MacBook a workout for hours.

I also have the same Dropbox synced on a PC which has no issues with online-only with only 250mb used.
The mac in comparison is using about 40gb. Mind you the Dropbox total size is somewhere around 470gb.

So this is still very strange behaviour that Mac needs to store so much.

Now my issue comes similar when I deleted Dropbox off my Mac, storage still showed that 40gb being used in my Documents and data. Even after manually dragging the files to the bin and emptying trash.

I went into About Mac > Storage
And looked/navigated back and forth through there and eventually the Mac caught up and realised it had emptied/deleted the Dropbox folder and documents and data showed a few kb only. I don’t have an exact solution but maybe try the below on a fresh Dropbox install:

I would try creating a new Dropbox folder somewhere new on the computer and choose online-only from install.

Be warned though, it seems Dropbox still wants to download a chunk for the initial sync.

I feel the High Sierra and Finder integration are not great for this current Dropbox version. More their fault than Apple. Bad coding.

Anyway I’m in the middle of syncing once again to see if it will finally sync online-only, I’ll just have to live with it taking up 40gb, I have a 500gb SSD after all.

Dropboxer

Hey there @reminiz. I just wanted to let you know that I was able to locate your ongoing communication with a member of my team and I’ve made sure to pass on your comments along. I’d kindly recommend, due to account-specific info required, to continue this discussion via email with them. Rest assured, they’ll do their best to assist you on the matter. Thanks! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Syncing and uploads.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post