Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

101 Comments
32 Likes
Level 2

Re: Smart Sync

The problem I am having is that files still appear to be taking up space on my hard drive even though I have them selected os 'onlive only'. I keep getting warnings that my hard drive is full but when I look in file manager the biggest files are all on dropbox and are classified as 'online only'. I don't get it?

Highlighted
Dropboxer

Re: Smart Sync

Hey there (@gregdotcom) & (@Worldmapper), following your initial posts here, I’ve sent you both a brief message on the email connected to your Forum profile (as I understand that you’ve already worked on that on your end & I’ll need to have direct access to your account  specifics to further address the issue that’s been troubling you in a bit more depth) gathering all of the info you’ve included on that discussion. 

You may have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience if you’d like us to work on that together. Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Smart Sync Online Only Files still using disc space

I started Smart Sync and it is syncing thousands of files  (60, 000 and slowly decreasing) where I have turned on Cloud Only.  However the hard drive spce is still decreasing, in otherwords there is less hard drive space available insead of more. 

I wanted to increase the amount of hard drive space since the drive is almost full.  What's happening?

OS is Windows 10

Thank you

Mike Porcelan

Level 3

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Hi Richard M.17, 

After many hours of searching for a solution, your text was the solution!

So thanks a lot for sharing slightly smiling face

Mooniq

Level 10

manhattenlad, you cannot move it yourself - you have to let dropbox move the folder.

Goto settings <gear>, Preferences , Sync to "Dropbox folder location".

pyes, I commented on that a while back. you are correct, and someone walked through a step by step of how to do it, but thanks for posting it for those who don't know. by the way once I explained this issue to dropbox support after a few emails where they said my problem wasn't real (it was!) and i wrote to them with the solution (which works!) they never even responded to say "thanks" and update this info on their site. Literally never heard from them again, and that was weeks ago. Shame WE have to teach the rest of the users how to use THEIR software.

Level 5

I just got mine addresses using Dropbox support. They have a beta update that correctly addressed the issue.

what does that mean "got mine addresses."? i didn't know about the beta, be nice if they followed up with that.

Level 10

I'd guess he ment "I got my concern addressed..."

Level 5

Creating a new folder and relocating deactivates all the smart sync functions and is not the correct fix. The proper solution is to download the latest Beta in which Dropbox properly addressed the issue.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Syncing and uploads.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.