cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Stop Dropbox from Zipping Upload File

Stop Dropbox from Zipping Upload File

pierrers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I prevent Dropbox from automatically creating a Zip file from a file I am Uploading?  This is not a folder of multiple files, but a single file.  I need it to remain in its current Schrivener writing program format, so I can sync it with my other devices (iPhone and iPad), and when Dropbox changes it to a Zip file upon upload it's becomes useless and won't sync.  The file is approx. 12 MB.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nate_C
Super User
Go to solution

I think I found out what's happening. Are you using a Mac by any chance? Some macOS "files" are actually "packages" which are folders. For example, apps in your Applications folder, if you control click on them you will see "Show Package Contents" which will open a folder structure inside.

I think the same thing is happening with your file. As a test, I tried uploading an app through the browser, and sure enough, it turned it into a zip file.

Take a look at this blog post starting where it says "Every Scrivener project is really a folder full of files and subfolders."

I think the best solution at this point might be to use the desktop Dropbox app to sync the file if possible. One other thing to try is making a folder and placing the contents of the "package" inside, before uploading. I have no clue if that would work though.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nate_C
Super User
Go to solution

Are you uploading using the Dropbox website? I just tried uploading a small folder using the Dropbox website on Google Chrome, and it did not zip up the contents, but perhaps it works differently for larger folders.

I would recommend using the Dropbox application on your computer if possible, since the website has some uploading limitations.

pierrers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, I'm using the website.  It is a single file not a folder, and it Zips the file everytime.  The Dropbox app no longer works with my current system, and I can't upgrade right now.

Nate_C
Super User
Go to solution

I think I found out what's happening. Are you using a Mac by any chance? Some macOS "files" are actually "packages" which are folders. For example, apps in your Applications folder, if you control click on them you will see "Show Package Contents" which will open a folder structure inside.

I think the same thing is happening with your file. As a test, I tried uploading an app through the browser, and sure enough, it turned it into a zip file.

Take a look at this blog post starting where it says "Every Scrivener project is really a folder full of files and subfolders."

I think the best solution at this point might be to use the desktop Dropbox app to sync the file if possible. One other thing to try is making a folder and placing the contents of the "package" inside, before uploading. I have no clue if that would work though.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I use Scrivener myself at home, and know that the files are folders themselves, since all my projects live in the Dropbox folder.

The desktop app also uploads the ‘file’ as a folder and then the files within the folder, namely the individual text files, comments, images, settings and everything else in your project.

It syncs pretty much every second, since as you know Scrivener auto-saves anything you type. It’s also handy with the backup feature when you close the program for the backup copy of your project, which is also uploaded to Dropbox since it’s in the folder.

While I haven’t tried uploading the project through the web browser, I’d follow Nate’s advice and try using the desktop app to sync the projects to the site and see how that works for you!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?