cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Usage reported for online-only folders on Finder doesn't match the "User Info".

Storage Usage reported for online-only folders on Finder doesn't match the "User Info".

nino2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So after more than a year of discussion on pretty much the same topic, this  still has not been resolved. Sugesting that issue will be resolved in the next version of software is somewhat unacceptable, and if you try to imagine this in any other profesion, you will agree, it would not be tolerated. We just designed a house for you and although it says its 200m2 it is acctually 150m2. But don't worry we can build another one for you and it will now be 200m2. 

When storage gets limited on computer, there is something starting to happen with all computers, that cause them to overheat. I am no computer genious, but many will agree this is just what acctually happens. So basically I had 500gb SSD and becouse of this issue I am acctually using only about 100gb, becouse the rest is taken by files I do not have on my computer but rather on Dropbox online, yet still it makes the rest of my disc unusable. So not only this feature is completely useless, might as well have files on my computer in the first place, it also damages my computer. 

I had similar issue with Box before, now Dropbox... amazing. 

39 Replies 39

edwincar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

Any further news? It has been 2 weeks since last communication by Jane.

I have 95G in my Dropbox and I just installed Dropbox on a new iMac (10.13.5) and the "About This Mac" Storage tab shows that I am using 95G of storage on my harddrive for document inspite that all foders and files in Dropbox are marke "online only" with Smart Sync and display the cloud icon.

Also I have dropbox on my Macbook Pro and the cloud or green tick icon are not showing in the dropbox folder.

Thank you in advance.

Regards.... Edwin

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey edwincar

Thanks for checking in on our Community in regards to the progress of this matter, I’d happily discuss that with you in a bit more detail below! 

You may keep in mind that the behavior described on this thread has now been acknowledged on our Known Issues” report, therefore Ed (our Community Manager) will make sure to post an update when our engineers release a fix. 

Following, as I’d like to follow-up on your request as closely as possible, can you please check the following for me?

• As an initial step, can you make sure that you’re running the latest stable version of the application on your iMac (52.4.58) & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray :arrows_counterclockwise:/ :white_check_mark:
  • If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you include a screenshot of your Dropbox folder’s “User Info”? Do your files take up any hard disc space, despite being marked as online-only? 

Secondly, when it comes to your Macbook Pro, I’d like to point you towards third party apps that may be obstructing our updates in the background (eg. some users have reported that the application "Boxifier" blocks the installation from being carried correctly). To bypass this, could you disable any Security/Antivirus programs & give our offline installer a try?  

Once you do, please let me know of the outcome in your next post, so that we work on that as closely as possible. Thanks again & enjoy your weekend! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Juunas
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

Hi @Jane,

I stumbled upon this thread trying to troubleshoot the same issue. Your latest post from June says it's a known issue and being investigated, however I couldn't find a post mentioning it having been resolved. What's the current situation? I found a newer thread about the same problem and submitted a ticket with screenshots (ticket id 

#8217407).

Joonas

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Juunas, you may keep in mind that each individual case should be best addressed on a private discussion (i.e. via our Official Support channel), as we'd need to access sensitive account-specific info in order to get a clearer picture of the space usage (& that’s mostly the main reason why we have a few active discussions on the Forum, though each one is- usually- separate from the others).  

If I had to briefly wrap up this thread, I’d have to say that the request concerns the space reported on the Finder Window, which doesn’t match the “Get Info” & how that affects the sorting options on the OS. As I haven’t got an update on the progress to share with you at the moment, I can make sure to ask our higher-level technicians & circle back here once I have more info. 

Following, because I’d like to address your concerns in the best possible way & I appreciate all the time you took to write in to us, I’ve made sure to forward your request to a specialized colleague, who’ll clarify matters in more detail for you on your email communication. 

I hope my reply is - even slightly- helpful to you & I hope that you sort this out soon. Thanks for posting us on our Forum & enjoy the rest of your day! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

HGohar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dear @Jane, I have the same problem. Has it been solved yet? I've been going thru the forum and don't seem to find a final answer / solution. Thank you

mikkokan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Still not working, using latest update and OSX Mojave.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @HGohar & @mikkokan, can you please share the relevant info with me in regards to your concern, in order to follow-up with you in a bit more detail? Thanks in advance!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

HGohar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you Jane for coming back to me. My dropbox shows that my files are synced to the cloud, however, the hard disc on my mac shows that these files still exist and occupying the same space. Therefore smart sync isn't freeing any space on the hard disc. The sync is complete and I can access it from other devices.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @HGohar, thanks for reaching back out to me on this discussion elaborating a bit on your initial post! 

Your best course of action to determine how much space your your Dropbox folder is currently taking up on your device would be to refer to the Get Info on your Mac (or Properties on a pc)

As there are various places to see the size of a file in Finder, some of these locations will display the logical size, while others will show you the physical size. (Note: Smart Sync placeholders takes up approximately 0kb, which is the physical size. The logical size of the file is the actual size of the file, if it were downloaded to the device.)

To see both the logical and physical file size:
- Right click on a file/folder
- Select 'Get info'
- In the properties window you will see the original file size, followed by the actual on-disk size

For example:428,510 bytes (0 KB on disk)

It is important to be able to view both sizes, not just to reassure you that the file is not taking up space, but also to understand the space and speed implications of returning the file(s).

In other views of Finder, the operating system will report the logical size. For this reason you shouldn't be concerned if it initially appears that the placeholder is taking up space. To confirm the file or folder is not taking up space, please check via the above steps. Files that are not taking up space on disk will have an icon overlay that changes from the usual green tick to the grey cloud icon, denoting that the file isn't locally present.

Please do let me know how these pointers apply in your current setup & I’ll do my best to check back what’s happening. In order to follow-up more closely with you, I’d appreciate a screenshot of what you're seeing in your next post as well; I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

HGohar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks @Jane, I followed the steps you mentioned. The Dropbox info shows it occupies 840kb (physical size 35 GB) however when comparing it with the "About this mac" ----> Storage---->Documents---->file browser it shows that it occupies 35 GB of the hard disc. So I'm not sure if my mac sees it at 840KB cause it is calculating the available space based on the physical rather than the logical size. I've tried to include a screenshot but I get an unexpected error message.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    CharleyW Explorer | Level 4
    HGohar Helpful | Level 6
    AntMask New member | Level 2
    ledbetterpro New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?