cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't stop indexing

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

331 Replies 331

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8

Which above article are you referencing to?

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated. We have confirmed that the problem with resyncing has been resolved with macOS Sonoma 14.1. Users should not experience a resync when upgrading to 14.1.

Upgrading to 14.1 will prevent resyncing, but it will not resolve this issue for users who have already become 'stuck' on the resync upon upgrading to 14.0. We can help, but we're asking that users contact support for individual assistance.

Regards,

Ben

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

@BenDBX this is simply not true. I'm on MacOS Sonoma 14.1 now and the situation didn't change. 

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @cloudres 

Thanks for this information. I'll pass it onto our engineering team. If anyone else is still experiencing this, please let me know!

Regards,

Ben

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8

I am also already on 14.1 and it does not work still

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8

Also any new files I create on my PC when I go to my Mac its not add those new files.  On my Mac Desktop the it just has that cloud with the arrow pointing down.  I try to click on it and select Make Available Offline but nothing happens and its not making it available offline.  And it says everything has been synced.   Does not make sense.  I can't make it available offline on my Mac Desktop.   

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @cloudres and @OceanSunrise,

I've checked with the engineering team and I'll clarify here and update my post above.

Upgrading to 14.1 will prevent resyncing from happening to users who are upgrading, but it will not resolve users who have become 'stuck' on the resync. We can help, but we're asking that users contact support for individual assistance.

Regards,

Ben

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8

Did you not read our messages?   its not Individual support.  Everyone is having same issue same problem.    

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8

Before my Dropbox on Mac was able to sync in new files now its not with this Sonoma update.   This is not an individual issues its all across the board with everyone.  I have had Dropbox for over 15 years I am not a rookie to this and a new user, I am an experienced user.   

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

@BenDBX I'm sorry to ask, but does the engineering team have any apologies for us? Dropbox has left us in the lurch for a month now, and so far, it seems like no one has wanted to apologize for the damage caused. We're talking about a month without me personally being able to use my paid subscription.

This is quite frustrating, even more so now that we've learned that there was an update on your part to fix the issue with MacOS 14.1. If only someone had bothered to notify us, maybe we would have waited a bit before updating our computers. Do you agree?

That being said, could you ask the aforementioned engineers if the problem will ever be resolved at a software level? Without resorting to strange procedures that involve backing up individual files added to Dropbox folders during this period, and then performing elusive logouts/logins or disconnecting devices from Dropbox settings. For those of us who use Dropbox extensively, it may not be easy to retrieve all these files for individual backups. Who remembers how many files have been saved and where in the span of a month?

There is no comprehensive list of all these locally stored files anywhere, so what do we do?
Do we have to remember what has been moved and where in the meantime?

I hope for comprehensive answers.

Thank you.

Need more support?