Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Sync to a Data Drive on the same machine that as 5 OS's on it

I use nothing but Linux and Android for both work and personal.

The Problem:

On one machine I have up to 5 operation systems on it, from Linux Mint, Ubuntu and others. 

I have one drive with all the data on it and all OS's point to that data drive so it's all the same data. Never have to worry what OS I am in, it's all the same data. Doc's, Pictures, Downloads, Videos and so on....

But what a nightmare with Dropbox trying to get each one so sync to the same folder. 

I use and still use Mega Sync (mega.nz) and it has the best method of syncing folders. Can be any folder name to any folder name. Stuipd simple.

How in Linux can you easily set this up.

I have gone into the info.json file and change the data path but Dropbox keeps setting it up in my home directory of each OS and when I tell it to move it overwrites the Data Drive data and makes a mess.

Does anyone have ideas on this waste of my time problem.

Bob L

5 Replies

Re: Sync to a Data Drive on the same machine that as 5 OS's on it

Dropboxer
Hey Bob (@cfawebdesigns), please bear in mind that in order to work correctly, Dropbox should be installed on each user account separately, rather than used as a location that would share data between operating systems. From there, it would be worth noting that you should be able to move your Dropbox folder contents, as long as it’s a supported configuration

That said, I will leave you request open in case a fellow Community member has achieved that in the past & could further advise you on how you could go about with the configuration you have in mind.

I hope that my pointers are- even slightly- helpful to you, though I’m also here should you have any additional inquiries; just let me know of any follow-up questions you may have here & I’ll make sure to check back asap. Thanks & happy Monday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

No it did not. According to Dropbox I can't have let's say one laptop with about 3 different operating systems on it and have them all point to the same Data drive what they're telling me that each operating system will have to have 1 terabyte dedicated to keep Dropbox synced I think that's a shame knowing that I've been using megasync and it allows you to think whatever folded or whatever folder different names the only way I can do it is I have to purchase another package from Dropbox not going to nickel and dimed to death

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that my suggestions aren’t what you were looking for Bob (@cfawebdesigns). Let me further clarify that while you could combine some Dropbox features (eg. Selective sync & Smart sync & you could also move the Dropbox folder to a different location) that could be helpful if you’d like to store a large number of files in Dropbox without impacting your local storage, we don’t recommend sharing the Dropbox folder between OSes, as syncing from multiple locations may cause unexpected behavior (eg. duplicate file creation or unexpected deletions to say the least)

Since our main priority is to securely sync your files across your devices & maintain your file continuity, operating in a stable environment is highly recommended & that’s the reason why we advise our users accordingly. 

In any event, I appreciate all the time you’ve devoted to detail me your thoughts on this conversation & I’m always here if you’d like to discuss any of the above in more detail; feel free ping me back on this discussion & I’ll do my best to follow-up asap. Thanks! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 4

same issues here

Dropboxer
Hey there (@comebaqq), do you have the same inquiry as the OP? Have you been able to explore the features I had linked in my previous post incidentally? Let me know of any additional thoughts you may have & we’ll take it from there!

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sync to a Data Drive on the same machine that as 5 OS's on it
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post