cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Syncing 34,000 files -- How long should it take?

Level 2

I accidentally moved one of our biggest folders (with 34,000+ documents) in our dropbox account and then moved it right back to where it originally was. It has not syned back across all of my team's folders yet and we are almost up to 24 hours later. It shows that it's working on syncing (see image below) which is a good sign, but I am wondering how log we should expect this to take or if I need to do something on my end to get it up and going. 

dropbox sync.JPG

5 Replies

Re: Syncing 34,000 files -- How long should it take?

Dropboxer
Hey there @kitchenkd,

If you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar, this should give you some more details as to where the app is in the syncing process (eg. syncing 34,000 files). Should you see this value changing then you can leave the app to finish syncing the changes.

With this, I might suggest to check that you have the bandwidth allowance for uploading without a limit so that this can be completed somewhat quicker, as this is a lot of files that were moved.

Should you not see the sync progressing or any error messages on your sync status then please let me know and send along any relevant screenshots (excluding any personal info) to better help my understanding of the situation. 

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 2

It looks like it is working, it says it's indexing 20,000 files and that number has declined from 22,000 when I first read your response. It must be our bandwidth capabilities. Thanks for the advice!

Dropboxer
Hey again @kitchenkd,

That’s good to hear! While your computer is finishing up the syncing, I’d recommend leaving it switched on and connected to the internet to ensure it finishes as soon as possible (as well as avoiding locking the screen/allowing the device to sleep).

Have a lovely day ahead - Cheers! 

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Good point on the sleep aspect, that is why it didn't do anything overnight. This is all making more sense now. Thanks for the quick responses. 

Dropboxer
Ah I see! Well I’m glad we solved that little mystery there @kitchenkdgrinning face with smiling eyes

And no problem at all, it’s my pleasure!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Syncing 34,000 files -- How long should it take?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post