cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd love to sync Apple Mail's Folders including archives. Can this be done?

I'd love to sync Apple Mail's Folders including archives. Can this be done?

MichaelQC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to sync the Mail Folders including archive mail.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Symlinks can work in Dropbox but they are not supported, and depending on where you created them, can result in the files being synced twice, taking up twice the amount of storage.

Mark's suggestion is the correct one. Just don't do it. If something goes wrong, it won't be pretty.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Hi MichaelQC.

Basically..... Dont. It wont end well.

In fact its really almost impossible to do because they are not designed to work like that. Mail will require exclusive access to the files/folders when its open and for Dropbox to sync so will it. You are also looking at a massive risk of data corruption if you sync between multiple machines.

Instead of syncing Mail use IMAP or Exchange email servers instead.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MichaelQC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Mark I already use IMAP mail and it works wonderfully well between my macs.

It's the archive of mail I have setup in the "On my Mac" section of Apple Mail that I want to share with my two MacBook Air machines. I have seen that some people have used symlinks but I am not sure that it is supported by Dropbox and I cannot find any supporting information.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Symlinks can work in Dropbox but they are not supported, and depending on where you created them, can result in the files being synced twice, taking up twice the amount of storage.

Mark's suggestion is the correct one. Just don't do it. If something goes wrong, it won't be pretty.

CharlieFoxtrot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Michael,

I am using a symbolic link for Apple mail to dropbox because I wanted both my desktop & Macbook to have the same (very large) "on my mac" files when I traveled. I also have a number of IMAP accounts as well for more current emails.

I ususally only crank up my Macbook mail before I travel, and make sure it is all synced.

A coulple of things I have observed about this arrangement:

My dropbox folder is ~dropbox/Mail/V4 with both computers pointing to it via a symbilic link.

It works, but there are overheads like:

• There will be a set of unique alpha-numeric named mail folders in V4 for BOTH computers. So if I have 5 IMAP accounts + "on my mac" folder in email, there will be 6 x 2 folders in dropbox. Not a big deal if you have plenty of space and a speedy internet. I have not found a way around this 😞
  • Occasionally the mail index gets out of alignment, and the mailboxes need to be rebuilt on one or the other conputers. The V4/MailData folder files keep getting overwritten by the latest mail that is open - so sometimes they will be conflicted. This is why I only have one open at a time.
  • I only have one mail open at a time (usually the desktop) and make sure it is closed and fully synced to dropbox before opening the macbook and allowing it to sync.

Hope this helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CharlieFoxtrot New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    MichaelQC Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?