Did you mean: 

Syncing / Connecting problem (Win 10)

SOLVED
125 Comments
29 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Syncing / Connecting problem (Win 10)

Things have been fine for 8 months.  I am suddenly having an issue with syncing / constant "connecting" on my Win 10 Desktop.  The tray icon will show "syncing" and "up-to-date" whenever I do anything with Dropbox on my computer, but after 15 seconds will revert to "connecting".  My desktop app will upload sync immediately but will not download sync unless I unlink the computer and then relink it..then reverts back to "connecting".  I have followed every recommendation I can find on this forum (no proxy, delete and reload Dropbox, turn off all firewalls and antiviral programs, etc.)  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 8

Re: Syncing / Connecting problem (Win 10)

Quoted from another thread:
"   
Dropboxer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you.

Based on your reports we were able to identify a problem with one of our network providers.  We shifted traffic away from this provider yesterday afternoon and you should no longer be experiencing this problem.

--John"

FYI...in case you are interested.  If you are still experiencing a problem please post, otherwise I will mark this thread as accept solution.
125 Replies
Level 7

Same problem, multiple machines, Windows 10 with 35.4.20

Super User II

Something is blocking Dropbox from connecting to the servers.

When I had the same issue I was on a work network (in a school) and some of the URL's were being filtered. It may be worth passing the info on to your IT teams

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 8

Thanks for the reply Mark... it is a home desktop so I'm the IT guy face screaming in fear and nothing has changed.  The only thing I can think of is some update to my firewall / anti-viral (McAfee.... *I know, don't say anything!winking face but when I turn everything off the problem persists. Also, if it was a block I would think DB would never downward connect but my desktop syncs fine when I unlink and relink it, then it goes back to "connecting".  I am also on 35.4.20  -- is this a recent version?

This is also happening on two other desktops at home. Identical problem.  Both are Win 7 pro and using a different antiviral (AVG).  Everything went bad at the same time.  The other cloud storage that I use is fine on all of my computers.

Very frustrating. I appreciate all thoughts and suggestions.

Super User II

I had *exactly* the same symptoms with the router blocking things (school filtering). I assumed, as did support, it was something to do with the router blocking the steady stream of 'checks' back and forth looking for updates but not actually blocking the syncing etc.

Have you checked your router is allowing all Dropbox URL's etc.?

And yes, 35.4.20 is the most recent version

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 6

I am having the same issue, on Windows 10.
36 hours ago I did not have this problem
Level 7

I also tried upgrading to 36.3.21 still unable to stay in sync. Only can unlink/relink.

None of my hardware or network changed last 36 hours.

This is a dropbox problem, though maybe not all for dropbox users.

Level 4

I am having the same problem with Windows 8.1.  If I open Dropbox.com, it will connect for a few minutes.  Nothing has changed regarding firewalls or router settings.

Jar

Level 8

@Mark- Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can tell in my router and in McAfee firewall nothing is blocking DB URLs.

@shmuel & @revjimb & @jar2jam --> I am sorry you are having the same issues, though it does make me feel better that this is more likely a DB issue. If anyone finds a solution (or an answer as to why) please post back and share! Many years of using DB with few problems however this one is driving me nuts....
Level 3

I'm having the same problem with two Macs and a Windows 10 box, all at home.