cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Pledging our support for Water! Read more

There was a problem completing this request when moving files within Dropbox.

SOLVED
57 Comments
8 Kudos
Highlighted

There was a problem completing this request when moving files within Dropbox.

I am getting the error message 'There was a problem completing this request.' when I am trying to move files within my Dropbox account.

- I have an active internet connection, as I do other things like upload, add new files/folder etc. 

- I have the Dropbox Desktop client but I am trying to move files while viewing them in the web browser, Chrome and/or Safari. 

- I can not move the files within my Dropbox Desktop integration panel in Finder as I have selective synced these files to NOT be saved on my computer as I have run out of space (on the comptuer.) I have only used 7% of my Dropbox storage limit.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: There was a problem completing this request when moving files within Dropbox.

Hey everyone slightly smiling face !

The Dropbox website has a maximum limit of files that can be moved or renamed at one time. 

To move files from one location to another through the Dropbox website, you can follow the steps below:

1. Click to the left of a folder or file to highlight the content
  2. Click Move…’ from the top level choices
  3. Navigate through your folder structure to the place you want to move the content
  4. Select the folder you want to which you want to move the content
  5. Click Move’

Dropbox will then move the content from one location to the other. Please note there is a limit of 3,000 files when you are moving content on the Dropbox website.

If you're receiving a generic error message, you can always try switching browsers (Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Chrome), to see if this helps resolve the issue. 

I would also always recommend the Dropbox desktop app for carrying out actions like these, as it can handle any number of files that need to be renamed or moved.
If you’d like to read up on this, you can do so by clicking here

If the content you're trying to move is Selectively Synced and not available on the desktop app, you could either re-sync it, or move the content through the web in smaller bulks, rather than all at once. 

Also, in order for our Dropbox Support Team to follow up with you regarding this issue, you can reach out at www.dropbox.com/support, and if you're experiencing issues submitting a request on our Help page, you can always use theForum link, instead: http://bit.ly/2m56L7z

Hope this helps and feel free to write back if you resove the issue, have any further questions, or find a work-around to this, so we can all help each other out! 

Thanks, 
Karina

---------------------------------------------------------

If this post answers your question please Accept as Solution White check mark slightly smiling face

If you found this helpful, your
Kudos are appreciated! Unicorn

57 Replies
Super User II

Re: There was a problem completing this request when moving files within Dropbox.

How many files are in the folders?

Dropbox wont, I believe, be able to do it if there are more than 10,000 files in the folders. If there are you need to do it in smaller chunks.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 7

I am experiencing the same issue. At the moment I am only able to move 100 files at a time.

What I see is if there is more than 100 files in the folder it can not be moved via the web interface. In my case I have 125 gz compressed files. I can move 100 okay, but not 101.
Super User II

Guys could you log that as a ticket for me please as thats not what should happen at all...

http://bit.ly/cm-support to log and http://dropbox.zendesk.com will let you track it

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 7

I tried to submit a ticket by clicking 'Submit Ticket', but I'm not sure if it went through: 

It doesn't show up in the second link you gave either :/

Thanks for your response but there's only 15 files in the folder!
Level 2

Cannot move folder

I have some problem when I'm trying to move a folder to another folder
I got an error message - What can I do?

Super User II

Re: Cannot move folder

What's the error message? Also, where are you doing this; in the Dropbox folder on your computer or through the Dropbox website?

Level 4

I have exactly the same problem