cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: This folder already contains a Dropbox directory 2017

This folder already contains a Dropbox directory. (Dropbox 3.03 on Fedora 21 (x64)

Nathanel T.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is this some kind of a joke? I keep my dropbox folder on a separate partition to simply redirect the dropbox daemon to that location and not have to go through the whole download process all over again. Now, after a fresh install of Fedora 21, installing this new version of dropbox prevents me from pointing it to the previously installed location stating 'This folder already contains a Dropbox directory.'.... THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED NOW!

61 Replies 61

Alastair D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same old issue. Why oh why can I not UNLINK a Dropbox folder, log back in and be asked WHERE DO YOU WANT YOUR DROPBOX FOLDER? (yes, SHOUT because you guys seems to be DEAF)

Then, if there is already a Dropbox folder at the specified place, ask "DO YOU WANT TO USE THIS DROPBOX FOLDER?" Then I can say "yes" and everything is sweet. But right now this problem has been ongoing and ignored for years. dudes... pull your collective corporate finger out. Pleeeease.

Proteome S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Seriously, this is a no-brainer, and I am baffled as to why this feature hasn't been implemented. I'm losing a lot of faith in DB this morning. It pains me, because I consider DB a fabulous application. But to reiterate, on Ubuntu 16.04, using DB 9.4.49, I can't link my existing DB (with 100s of GBs of data) when configuring the application. I put the DB on a separate hard drive (and thus partition), thinking this would save me time and keep my files more consistent... Seriously, after this and testing the Paper beta, I'm beginning to not like DB. Please get this working. You can't expect users to re-sync 100s of GBs like this!!!

Patrick L.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I managed to reinstall Dropbox and get around this problem. I did the following:

1. Before starting Dropbox, rename your old Dropbox folder to something else, like "Dropbox_old"

2. Start Dropbox and enter your login information, then click on Advanced options.

3. Select where you want to put your Dropbox folder.

4. Immediately stop syncing files, then exit the Dropbox program.

5. Delete the new Dropbox folder.

6. Place the old Dropbox folder where you want it and rename it to "Dropbox"

7. Start up Dropbox again and it should start indexing the files in your old folder.

It took a while for Dropbox to check all the files to make sure they were the same, but I didn't have to redownload everything.

I hope this helps!

mariobalotelli
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Patrick.

what_with_names
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Still not fixed, Feb 2017, Win10.

albertomielgo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox:

I see this has been a problem since 2015. Sorry, I read the others and I dont see any helpful answer. 

If however there is an answer after 2 years, can Dropbpx be more clear about this, please.

I recently HAD to delete and reinstall my Mac, threfore I had to re-install all my hardware. Dropbox Desktop app. included. This I guess is a very common thing in this world.

When I select my Dropbox location to my previous location ( an external hardrive Ive been succesfully syncing for a whole year) I get ERROR: This folder already contains a Dropbox directory.

Over 700 Gb of data that its very painfull to Sync again. With the fatal implications this might have.

Any solution for this? 

If However there is NO answer to this, I will appreciate if you let us know please,  and I´ll re-sync everything and stop killing myself  trying to figure out.

Until then Im pausing my sync.

Thanks.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Uninstall Dropbox if it's installed. Rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder. Keep in mind that external drives are NOT recommended as data loss can occur under the right conditions. When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the newly created Dropbox folder. When the move is complete, and not before, resume syncing or re-launch Dropbox.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially with 700GB of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it find. be patient and LET IT WORK.

albertomielgo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I actually thought about something like that but I was scared to try.

Thanks SO much, Rich,  for taking the time to answer in such a clear message!!!!

Im on it right now.

Not applicable
Go to solution

3 years later, this issue still exists. in my case on ubuntu. are you guys not ashamed to not be able to fix such a trivial issue for years?

what it should do

- user installs dropbox

- user changes dropbox folder

- app detects its this same users 'same dropbox' 

- app just updates this dropbox

whats the difficulty to make this right?

Not applicable
Go to solution

WARNING: DO NOT USE this workaround unless you had all copies synced to be equal before switching the desktop client software.

If you have an outdated but previously synced dropbox folder without new files on the outdated client software you should rename/remove it and let the system download newest version of files. Otherwise it will merge your old folder with up to date version on dropbox which will duplicate files (if you have moved them from one location to another within dropbox)

Need more support?