cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring data from practice management software

Transferring data from practice management software

Bcalm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I use practice management software in my veterinary practice.  All medical records are updated in real time.  At the end of each day, my staff creates a backup copy on a thumb drive, about 643 MB.  I then take that home and restore it to the software on my laptop, so I have a view-only version of the day.  I'm going to be out of town for several weeks but still need to know what's happening in the practice, and I was hoping Dropbox could facilitate that.  I was able to upload a backup to Dropbox, but not download it onto my laptop -- It goes about halfway and fails.

Suggestions much appreciated.

thanks

Barbara

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bcalm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi again, just want to let you know that it worked perfectly, just takes some time to show up on various computers depending on internet speed.

The solution was to use the app instead of the website.

The overall process we developed was to save a backup of practice data to a thumb drive, and then upload it to Dropbox from that thumb drive, and then in another location do the reverse-- download to a thumbdrive and restore to the practice management software.

Thanks for your help.

Barbara

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Barbara! 

Could you please provide a bit more info on this? Are you trying to download it manually locally on your computer, or are you using the desktop app? 

If you’re using the desktop app, could you please send me a screenshot (excluding personal info) of what the Dropbox icon that’s next to your desktop’s clock reads when you hover over it?

Could you also provide me with an additional screenshot (again, without any sensitive info) of any error message that you’re seeing so as to have a better understanding of your concern?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bcalm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Lusll-

I appreciate the quick response.   I was not using the desktop app, just manually uploading and then trying to download from my computer using the Dropbox website. Now that I see there is one, and have downloaded the updated version of the app, I have tried the same dry run on my home computer and it appears to work much better.  I'll download the Dropbox app on the computer at the clinic in the morning and see if this system will be successful in transferring data from practice to home.

Screen shot is problematic but I can describe it - Download arrow in the browser window, drop down shows downloads, and this one says "Failed". 

I have a feeling the problem is with using the website rather than the app and will get back to you confirming that tomorrow.  Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Barbara

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No problem, Barbara! If you experience any trouble in the future or you have any other questions, just give us a shout. Thanks! :nerd:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bcalm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi again, just want to let you know that it worked perfectly, just takes some time to show up on various computers depending on internet speed.

The solution was to use the app instead of the website.

The overall process we developed was to save a backup of practice data to a thumb drive, and then upload it to Dropbox from that thumb drive, and then in another location do the reverse-- download to a thumbdrive and restore to the practice management software.

Thanks for your help.

Barbara

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

One word of warning on  this - Databases and Dropbox do not play together well. So, please make sure it syncs FULLY to a green tick before you open it on the laptop AND when you are finished with it at the end of the evening it syncs back to Dropbox's cloud with a green tick again before you shut down (you will probably need to close the software to let it do this)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Metalltant
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry for reviving a necro thread, but I recently faced a similar problem. I wonder whether you have found a solution?

Milvian
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey, thanks for sharing your situation with us. I am new on this forum, but I think I can help you out. Have you tried splitting the backup file into smaller parts and then uploading them onto Dropbox? This might help with the download failure. Also, have you considered using remote access software like TeamViewer or AnyDesk? This would allow you to remotely access your work computer and view the updated records in real time, even while you're away.Besides, I think I found one source that might be helpful to you. Check this out: https://www.prendo.com/leadership-challenges/leading-change-and-transfоrmation/ I hope this helps!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Milvian Explorer | Level 3
    Metalltant Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    Bcalm Helpful | Level 6
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?