Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring from one laptop to another don't want to re-sync

SOLVED
2 Comments
0 Kudos
Level 3

Transferring from one laptop to another don't want to re-sync

Hello, I've been using Dropbox on my Macbook Pro for 3 years. I have nearly 700GB in the Dropbox folder. 

I'm about to buy a new Macbook Pro and I will probably use Apple's Migration Assistant to transfer all the data across from the old laptop to the new one – including the Dropbox folder. 

What I don't want to happen is to have to re-sync all that data on the new machine. That would take over a month, given the internet speeds I have at my disposal. 

Is there anyway of circumventing this?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Super User II

Re: Transferring from one laptop to another don't want to re-sync

You should be able to point the Dropbox install at the current directory via the advanced install.

If that doesnt work install Dropbox, let it start to index. Close the application and move the data from the 'old' to the 'new' Dropbox folder and restart it. Dropbox will then reindex it all - note that this will take AGES.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

2 Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Super User II

You should be able to point the Dropbox install at the current directory via the advanced install.

If that doesnt work install Dropbox, let it start to index. Close the application and move the data from the 'old' to the 'new' Dropbox folder and restart it. Dropbox will then reindex it all - note that this will take AGES.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

What actually happened is that I "moved in" to my new laptop, a Macbook Pro, by using Migration Assistant from a Time Machine backup. 

This copied over everything – all the files and all the applications. The Dropbox desktop app was installed on the new laptop along with all the Dropbox files, it then took Dropbox a few hours to realise what had gone on and "synced" everything – or realised that everything was already "synced". That was 400-500GB worth of stuff. 

I hope this helps someone. 

All in all a really excellent, painless process!