Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Two computers with single Dropbox account and want to change folder location

Level 2

Hi, I am looking to change the location of my Dropbox folder. Right now both computers have Dropbox installed and the files are in the default location. My question is, I want to change the location of the Dropbox folder to the D:\ on Computer 1, but Computer 2 doesn't have a D:\ drive. Will that work? Or do both computers have to have the same location path available?

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Two computers with single Dropbox account and want to change folder location

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, the location can be different on different devices. It doesn’t need to be the same between computers.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Two computers with single Dropbox account and want to change folder location

Level 2

Thanks for the response Jay! So just to confirm my thinking, one computer's dropbox client is going to show the new path, and the other computer will show the default path? 

Also, if I make any changes to what content syncs down to the computer, will those settings be shared between both clients? What I mean is, I have to be cognizant which computer has the smallest amount of free space, correct?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
That’s correct, files will sync to the site and then to another connected devices.

If you don’t have enough space on a computer, say a laptop with limited storage, then selective sync can prevent entire folders from syncing down to your machine.

Let me know if this info helped out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Two computers with single Dropbox account and want to change folder location
3 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post