cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPLOADING RAW PHOTO FILES TO DROPBOX

UPLOADING RAW PHOTO FILES TO DROPBOX

senator12
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why does Dropbox not upload RAW photos from Mac Photos. It seems to alter them to JPEG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi senator12,

I did a quick google search and it sounds like drag-and-drop from Photos to Finder exports those files using whatever the selected or default export method is. In this case, it sounds like it is exporting as jpg. You need to go back to Photos and select the original files to add to Dropbox. I don't use Photos myself, but if you go back to Photos and right click on the image you might be able to open it in its real location in Finder, or be able to "export original" somehow.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

senator12
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just tried to upload a RAW photo. Shown as JPEG in Dropbox. When downloaded back to my Macbook it came back as a JPEG. Anyone got any ideas??

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You've downloaded the preview from the website.

To redownload it in its original version make sure you use the Dropbox download options and not right click -> save as or that you are downloading from www.dropbox.com/home

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

senator12
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I downloaded the image from Dropbox "download" and it still arrived as a JPEG in my Macbook.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Can you post screenshots of how you are doing it as there is something going wrong in the workflow somewhere.... Dropbox doesnt have the capability to alter files. In fact its only in the past few weeks that its started previewing RAW files.

Note that if you've imported from Apple Photos what you are probably seeing is Apple Photo's previews that it generates for the App. So somewhere in Dropbox will be the RAW file and you will see the previews.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@senator12 wrote:

Just tried to upload a RAW photo. Shown as JPEG in Dropbox. When downloaded back to my Macbook it came back as a JPEG. Anyone got any ideas??

Hello, @senator12...

Just to clarify, what specific file extension does your file have... is it .raw or something else (view other examples)?

I uploaded a .raw file into my Example Folder via the Desktop Client and it remained a .raw file for me (take-a-look).

Click on the file named, "000.DBx_RAWuploadExample.raw" and then click on the download button. You should see that Dropbox says it cannot preview a .raw file (it did for me at this time anyway).  You can reference the screenshot in the Example Folder, "001.DBx_RAWuploadExample_UseDownloadButton.jpg".

After the file is downloaded to your device, see if it remained with the .raw extension for you.  If so... then do as @Mark suggested by posting screenshots of what you're doing specifically so we can see what you're viewing.

We need specifics so that we can better assist you and screenshots help us a lot.

senator12
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The file extension is the Canon one of .cr2 within Photos.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
So somewhere between Photos and the Dropbox folder on your computer something is converting it to Raw. The preview will be from the Photos folder I imagine.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@senator12 wrote:

The file extension is the Canon one of .cr2 within Photos.

Okay.

I uploaded a .cr2 file into the same Example Folder and it remained with a .cr2 extension after uploading it (take-a-look).

Please take screenshots of your procedure when you have time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Boygeil89 New member | Level 2
    Maple Dropbox Staff
    senator12 Helpful | Level 5
    Ed Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?