cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload issue with .heic files

Upload issue with .heic files

austinzr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Part of my photos in iPhone album end with .heic extension. I tried to open them on my Windows PC without any luck. Would be converted to JPG/PNG automatically if I uploaded them to Dropbox server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

iasder
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox does have the ability to do that ,but I don't think it's a perfect idea,you may be as confused as I am in the process of the conversion.

So share this program with you here , to avoid unnecessary hassles .

See more : https://www.tunesbro.com/convert-heic-to-jpg-windows.html

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Pikamander2
Super User
Go to solution

Hi Austin, 

Dropbox does have an option to upload them as JPG instead of HEIC.

Alternatively, you can change a setting on your iPhone to save photos as JPG instead of HEIC.

austinzr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Pikamander2 wrote:

Hi Austin, 

Dropbox does have an option to upload them as JPG instead of HEIC.

Alternatively, you can change a setting on your iPhone to save photos as JPG instead of HEIC.

It seems the quality is shinked after converting to JPG. is this true or i am doing something wrong?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Austin, you may keep in mind that while Dropbox supports syncing and previewing HEIF images and HEVC-encoded MOV files (& you can preview them on dropbox.com, the Dropbox iOS app, and the Dropbox Android app), all Windows versions cannot view or open HEIC (.heic) photos

You may use Pikamander2’s tips to convert those files to .JPG, if you’d like to view them locally on your pc or browse through your photos on our website, should you decide to upload them with their default encoding. 

I hope that this is helpful to you & please do let us know here in case you need any additional info. Happy Monday!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Pikamander2
Super User
Go to solution

@austinzr wrote:

It seems the quality is shinked after converting to JPG. is this true or i am doing something wrong?

Saving an image as JPG will reduce its quality. The exact amount of quality loss depends on the amount of compression used, and it's possible that the image is being resized during the conversion process. To clarify, are you converting it using Dropbox's option or with a phone setting?

iasder
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox does have the ability to do that ,but I don't think it's a perfect idea,you may be as confused as I am in the process of the conversion.

So share this program with you here , to avoid unnecessary hassles .

See more : https://www.tunesbro.com/convert-heic-to-jpg-windows.html

Tom Hayes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, you can convert images to JPG with this converter https://www.jpgheic.com/

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tom Hayes New member | Level 2
    iasder Explorer | Level 4
    Pikamander2 Super User
    Jane Dropbox Staff