cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

Uses some verification algorithm to ensure the integrity of the files on the server?

Level 4

Hi, 

Dropbox uses some verification algorithm to ensure the integrity of the files on the server? 

Since I have uploaded files both from the Windows Application and from the browser and I am worried that they will get corrupted 

Regards,

Marcos 

6 Replies

Where to find the checksum of the uploaded files?

Level 4

Awaiting response...

Re: Where to find the checksum of the uploaded files?

Dropboxer
Hey Macros, let me with you on our questions in a bit more detail!

"uses some verification algorithm to ensure the integrity of the files on the server since I have uploaded files both from the Windows Application and from the browser and I am worried that they will get corrupted"

Just as a point of reference, all your Dropbox files are split into smaller chunks, encrypted & uploaded on our servers. When a newer version of the files is detected, only the changed part is uploaded to Dropbox. In case there’s an error during the process (eg. depending on the device you’re using, it could be an incompatible character), you should receive an error message

That said, please note that there isn’t currently an option to see a list of all updates on your files (unless you’re a Business user, where admins can access this type of Activity per file), though you can you have a look on the file’s version history (tip: it’s on the on the 💬 of the file in question) on your end & see when the last update was made. 

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on your question, though I’m always here if you have more questions, just let me know on this discussion Marcos. Wishing you a great weekend ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4
@Jane Thank you very much!!!

Dropboxer
Absolutely Marcos (Marcosingo), pleased to clarify matters for you in a bit more detail! Unicorn 

Now that you’ve had a look a look around on our Community, feel free to post your questions at any time & we’ll do our best to check back with you asap. Happy sharing & a creative & fruitful summer week ahead! 🍉 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Jane, you did not answer Marcos' question. He is asking about file integrity checking and error correction between the customer client side data storage and the uploaded copy written to the Dropbox servers. I have the same question.

This is distinct from the method you discussed used to determine when there has been a change to the file on the client side requiring an update to the version on the Dropbox server and the method used to upload the change.

Separately, Dropbox tech support is unable to answer because they don't know the difference between file security and file integrity and they repeat the file security methods in answer to the file integrity question.

Dropboxer
Hey there (@RavenSAR), to best address your follow-up inquiries, I’ve located your latest open request on our system & I can see that you’re already discussing your concerns with our specialized colleague. I’ve also included a copy of your comments there & I’ve increased your support priority internally, so you may expect a reply on the matter soon.

I hope that your file integrity questions get answered soon & I remain at your entire disposal in case you need further assistance in any way- just let me know here & I’ll check back with you asap. Other than that, I appreciate the time you’ve devoted to write me your thoughts; positive or negative, your feedback is extremely valuable as we are always looking for ways to improve!

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Uses some verification algorithm to ensure the integrity of the files on the server?
More about this post
6 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post