cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my download speed slow?

Why is my download speed slow?

Josi B.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I don't understand why I'm having such a big problem downloading a movie from my Dropbox file onto my MacbookPro laptop. The file is only 1.2GB, I'm connected to my router with an ethernet cable, with a fibre-optic connection of 50/50Mbps uncapped and unthrottled. I've tried many times already, but the download is either ridiculously slow or stops altogether. I'm on Dropbox Pro, I have plenty space on my laptop hard drive, and I'm not doing anything else on the laptop at the same time. Am i doing this incorrectly or what? Help help please!

23 Replies 23

Teja B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Just to be specific here: My and Markus' problem persists apart from the dropbox app and the settings on Mac os. It's about downloading single files via browser! Same is true for preview images and thumbnails in image folders. The slow speed is catastrophic!

Albert B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I believe we are a vocal minority and probable beneath the notice of the DropBox support crew.

The slow speed severely hampers the usefulness of DropBox as a cloud solution for backup.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I believe we are a vocal minority and probable beneath the notice of the DropBox support crew.

Not at all, but you actually need to contact Dropbox Support before they can respond to you.

FILM S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We are based in the South of Germany, have DROPBOX BUSINESS, paying quite a lot and extactly the same problem. Since round about 14 days the download is incredibly slow. It doesn't matter waht system (PC, MAC), what browser or what machine (IP) is used. And the support either provides standard replies, that do not meet the problem or doesn' react at all. This is unprofessional and bad practice to not deal with a problem.

Mij E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've decided not to bother with DropBox any more (way too slow), so I don't want to receive an e-mail every time somebody is dissatisfied with it.  I followed the link in the e-mail that says ....

If you want to stop these notifications click here.

....and it brought me here.  I didn't see a link to stop the e-mails, so I signed in, but I still don't see the means to stop them.  I visited My Activities and My Profile, but there's nothing there either.

Can somebody please tell me how to stop the e-mails, or preferably, how to delete my account?

Stefan R.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Downloadspeed 4,6 kbit/s!!! You must be kidding!

FILM S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

They are really ambitous. Tomorrow they will be better (1,0) and after tomorrow they will almost reach the top: 0,01. Then we all will congratulate.

Felix Lars S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

After the ridiculous speeds I've been getting on my 50/10 connection (in the ballpark of 40kbyte/s when synching files to my computer) I can only advise everyone to drop Dropbox and move to OneDrive or even a Hetzner Storagebox. 

Stefan R.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I wrote to the support - all I get in return was an generic answer and a link to their FAQs! I´m through with this sh*t! I deleted my files and moved on. Good luck to you all!

Laura S.44
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I started having this problem about two years ago, and it is definitely a dropbox issue. Google Drive, when downloading exactly at the same time, on my Fios internet using Chrome, downloaded my multi gig files at lightning speed. Dropbox is, at this moment, downloading files at 62 kbps. I am only still on dropbox because I haven't weened all of my clients off of it. I am a Pro user as well. It is pretty much theivery. I respect Google much more. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Tom H. Super User
    Dominick R.2 Helpful | Level 5
    Laura S.44 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?