cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to stop syncing

Want to stop syncing

Not applicable
Go to solution

For some reason my Dropbox started "sycning" without my intending it to.  It is telling me it is syncing 11,140 files.  I want to stop this.  It may have happened when I opened the files in iCloud, but I don't need these "synced."  Everything is where I want it.  Is there a way to stop, as opposed to pausing, syncing?  The files being synced have names like "5032.data" and appear to be stored in a graphics "proxie" folder for an old iMovie program which I do not need.  They appear to be only about 4kb in size, but I would like to stop the syncing anyway.  Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox will sync any changes that are made in your Dropbox folder. To stop a particular file or folde from syncing, move it out of the Dropbox folder.

If it's in the Dropbox folder, it's going to sync.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox will sync any changes that are made in your Dropbox folder. To stop a particular file or folde from syncing, move it out of the Dropbox folder.

If it's in the Dropbox folder, it's going to sync.

Not applicable
Go to solution

Okay.  Thanks for your response!

Mac1998
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I never synced before. All of a sudden dropbox is syncing. I have software to move files that I want to save to drop box. I dont want auto sync. Any answers?

Beehivetalk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How can I move the file out of dropbox folder, I want to stop Syncing... need serious help, it has finish my data twice now

tess e
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

There should be a button to push to stop syncing to pc. When mine started the massive original backup the minute I reinstalled DB, it created DB folders for all my pc files.  I did not approve it and would be nice if there was an option to stop the back up from pc

JaMaL69
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same issue. I want to STOP syncing because it is syncing all kinds of files (thousands!) from my PC - NOT only folders in my Dropbox folder! Please help? I turned off PC backup so why is it still syncing all my files?!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JaMaL69 , sorry to see you're having issues with this.

Just to confirm, did you follow the steps in this article to disable backup?

If you hover your mouse over your Dropbox icon, what's the sync status of the Dropbox app?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    JaMaL69 Helpful | Level 5
    tess e Collaborator | Level 8
    Beehivetalk Explorer | Level 4
    Mac1998 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?