cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with conflicted copies?

What to do with conflicted copies?

Åke E.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Our office has two desktop computers. Both of them access the same Dropbox. No mobile devices or other computers are involved.

In the Dropbox there is a database.

The database is _never_ used from both computers simultaneously.

The idea by our arrangement is that two different people should be able to edit the database on different computers. We were assuming that changes made from one computer would appear when the file was opened on the other one.

But we are getting "conflicted copies".

Now we are all confused because we don't know which of the files contains the most recent changes. That's the file we want.

We are also confused because "conflicted copies" should not appear unless two people worked on the database at the same time. So why does this happen?

23 Replies 23

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Please do NOT use Databases within Dropbox M_A_S. You are so so lucky that you've actually not ended up with the database becoming corrupt. This is because both Dropbox AND Microsoft are trying to put locks on the file when its in use to sync/save etc. Databases simply are not designed to be sync'd/ Syncing databases are server based/using SQL etc.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helen1947
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

THANK YOU MARK!!

I am still using the DB in dropbox but only one user at a time. Anyway, just in case, I regularly make back-up copies of the DB on my notebook.

You see, I find Access most usefull because of all the queries and reports and macros I can design myself according to my needs.

THANKS AGAIN!

Helen

jmillanq
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am getting far too many "conflicted copy" files even when I have not worked on a given document. 

I use an external disk, and when I log in and syncs I get conflicted copies, I suppose on files used by my collaborators when I wasn't logged in.

How can I tell dropbox to update those files and not create the "conflicted copy" files?

Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jmillanq wrote:

How can I tell dropbox to update those files and not create the "conflicted copy" files?

That's not an option. Dropbox will create a conflicted copy whenever a file has changed in multiple locations. There's no way to tell Dropbox to update such files automatically.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    jmillanq Explorer | Level 3
    Helen1947 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    M_A_S New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?