cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

no

Highlighted

Why auto sync new folder across all devices?

Level 2

I would like to be able to choose in prefs that when I make a new folder in dropbox, I don't want it to sync automatically to all the devices I have linked to my DB account. As it is, every time I make a new folder I need to go every computer in the house and Prefs/sync/selective sync and unmark the folder I just created. Nice if it was an option. 

2 Replies

Re: Why auto sync new folder across all devices?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, this option is available on Dropbox Business teams, however I’ll forward your suggestion to our dev team, since I’m assuming you’re on a personal account.

You could try creating folders under folders previously deselected for sync, so it won’t automatically appear on their machines.

I do need to point out that sharing your personal account with others is a violation of the terms of service and can result in the termination of the account in question.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Why auto sync new folder across all devices?

Super User II

@akaBT wrote:

Because that's what Dropbox is intended to do, keep your files in sync across all devices linked to your account. It's the entire point of Dropbox.

I would like to be able to choose in prefs that when I make a new folder in dropbox, I don't want it to sync automatically to all the devices I have linked to my DB account.

No such option exists, but you can request in the Share an idea section of the forums. Personally, I doubt it will ever be included as it defeats the original purpose of Dropbox.

As it is, every time I make a new folder I need to go every wife and kid computer in the house and Prefs/sync/selective sync and unmark the folder I just created.

Why not just create a new folder in the root of your Dropbox for each computer, then go around and unsync all the other "computer" folders on each computer. Now, going forward, if you want to create a folder for just one computer, you do it in that computer's folder, and it won't sync to the others. Anything that should sync to all can be created in the root of your Dropbox, or to keep things even more tidy, create a "Common" folder or similar, and keep it set to sync everyhwere.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

More about this post
2 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post