cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to speed up Dropbox uploads on iPhone

How to speed up Dropbox uploads on iPhone

ashley m.18
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox sync only happens when I have the Dropbox iPhone app actively open, and even then it takes about 5 minutes to upload a single photo. This is for camera roll sync.

54 Replies 54

Ian F.14
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When carousel was introduced, there was much criticism about why a separate app was needed, but to be fair it worked really well. It was quick and didn't suffer from the "Dropbox has paused upload" messages.

Now that it has been retired, you would have thought that this good code would have been integrated back into Dropbox, but sadly it clearly hasn't and if anything things have got worse. It's painfully slow and isn't using the available bandwidth, and we're back to having to keep re-opening Dropbox to keep things going, even though background upload is on and so is location services.

Petr M.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How can it be that the feature (instant, fast upload) that was working perfectly before is now broken?  

Doug P.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem....any better work around?

Chris B.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem.  Carousel work fabulously, the iOS Camera Upload feature takes an age.  Background barely works, it might work for about 2 minutes after switching to another app.  At this point, I wait until it is time to go to bed, turn off automated screen locking, plug in the charger and then open the app.  Maybe 8 hours later my 1 minute 25 second video will be uploaded when I wake up in the morning.

Ridiculous, especially since you had this all worked out with Carousel.

Ali H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

i have several iOS devices.  all but my primary (iPhone 6S+) transfers photos to DropBox desktop app just fine... by my primary device gets stuck forever in the importing process and nothing happens. 

Any idea what could be going wrong?
(i've tried re-installing the applications on both ends, no success)

Thanks!

John C.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Where is DrioBox Solution to this?????? Itsinfuriating and unbearable as carousel worked so perfect!! I would pay for carousel to return!!!

Dmitri K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is ridiculous. Took me 4 hours to upload 20 photos and not it's stuck on 9 photos remaining for several days now. WTF dropbox?

Richard P.10
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue.  In the iOS app, it takes a while when it moves to the next picture to upload before the upload bar starts progressing,  When the progress bar starts, it goes very quickly, but it takes a long time to start progressing.  It is almost as if it is doing some sort of processing or something.  I wonder if it has to do with the large number of pictures on my camera roll.  I have ~45k pics in there.  I have iCloud Photos turned on so they're not all actually on my phone, but DB may still have to do some sort of processing where as the number of photos increases, the "processing time" also increases.  Just a theory.

Caesar W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

For me, Dropbox always uploads all the images first before the videos, even if they are newer. The images actually upload reasonably fast (in the order of seconds, maybe because they are small). My upload backlog seems to comprise entirely of videos.

So my contribution towards the theory is that the files are being uploaded in order according to file size from small to large.

Chris R.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I set my phone not to auto-lock and left it plugged in overnight with the dropbox app running and it uploaded about ten photos total, of the hundreds left in the queue.

Dropbox, this is unacceptable.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jinsworld New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Shelley S.5 Helpful | Level 5
    Masterric New member | Level 2
    Abbe55 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?