cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my photos get uploaded again if I move them?

Will my photos get uploaded again if I move them?

seth b.4
New member | Level 1

I have camera upload turned on and phone pics automatically go to the Camera uploads folder.
If I move them from that folder, into an album or sub-folder, will the uploading process upload them again to the camera uploads folder?

14 Replies 14

Mark
Super User II

No it wont 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Vicki B.7
New member | Level 1

I synced all pics from camera to dropbox.

I ma trying to cleanup and get rid of folders....If I delete pics from "camera upload" folder does that delete from new folder too?  Is that a "master" list/folder?

HELP!!!!  I can't seem to get organized

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff

Hi Vicki! 

I'll be happy to explain things here.

Anything you delete from a folder that is synced with Dropbox will be deleted from your account. 

However, if you copy the content of your Camera Upload folder to another folder and you then delete content from the Camera Uploads folder, that won't affect the files from the original folder. 

I hope that helps and let me know if there's anything else I can do for you! 

Jeff R.7
New member | Level 1

help my mobile app is making multiple copies of the same image inthe photos section

Stephen R.10
New member | Level 1

I purchased a new laptop. The files have uploaded however camera uploads is uploading pictures from work colleagues and friends. These pictures have never been in my files. These pics have been uploading for three days and still have 2558 files to go. How can I stop this?????

Please help - getting desperate

Steve

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Stephen! 

To gain a better understanding of where these files are coming from, it's helpful to find out where they're located in your account and how they were added. Please do the following:

Sign in to the Dropbox website and go to your Photos page:

https://www.dropbox.com/photos

Right-click on an unfamiliar photo or video and select "Show in Folder" from the menu. This will take you to the folder where the file is located. (Photos or videos are usually found in the "Camera Uploads" folder or a shared folder—read below for more information.) You can then check which user and device added this file to your account by right-clicking on the file and selecting "Previous versions".

Now that you have these pieces of information, please read below to check if either of the following situations explain the issue:

CASE A: The files are in the Camera Upload folder

When enabled, Dropbox's Camera Upload feature will automatically upload photos and videos from a camera, phone, tablet, SD card, or other media device connected to a computer running the Dropbox desktop app. Before uploading from one of these devices, a pop-up window will ask the user if he or she wants to use Camera Upload for that device. If the user chooses this option, photos and videos will be imported from that device to the Dropbox account associated with it. The user may only see this pop-up the first time a device is connected. Once a device has been approved for Camera Upload, the photos and videos from that device will be automatically uploaded to Dropbox every time that device is connected to the computer.

If the photos were uploaded to the Camera Uploads folder from a computer, it may mean that someone connected a device to your computer. For example, someone may have used your computer to charge their phone or connected a USB memory stick to transfer a file even without you being aware and clicked 'OK' on the Camera Upload message without realizing it. If they did this, their photos and videos would be uploaded to your account. You can fix this by deleting the photos and videos from your Dropbox account. This will not delete files from the device that uploaded the photos and videos or from any other Dropbox account.

If the files were uploaded to the Camera Uploads folder from a mobile device, it means that your Dropbox account is signed in to a mobile device with Camera Upload enabled. This could have happened if you forgot to sign out from a mobile device that did not belong to you. It's also possible that someone has access to your password and logged in to your account from their mobile device. You should make sure that your email account is secure and your Dropbox account has a strong, unique password. You should also review the devices linked to your account and unlink any that are unfamiliar to you:

https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

CASE B: The files are in a Shared Folder

Shared Folders are an easy way to share content with others. Anything that is placed in a shared folder is available to all of the members of that shared folder.

If the files are found in a shared folder, it means that one of the members of the shared folder added the files to that folder by mistake or because they wanted to share them with the other members. If you do not believe that these files should be in that shared folder, please reach out to the person who added them to suggest another location.

If neither of the situations above explains how these files appeared in your account, please send us the name and location of a few of the files that you believe are not yours but are in your account. Once we receive this information, we'll be able to investigate further and get back to you.

@Jeff, are you using iCloud to backup your files also? 

If your case, as we may have to investigate the origin of the issue, please write in to www.dropbox.com/support to figure out where the issue is coming from. 

Thanks!

Stewart R.1
Explorer | Level 3

Can having more than one computer linked to a Dropbox Pro account cause the uploaded photos to be uploaded to the same folder if they have been sorted and moved on another linked computer.  I am getting the same photos returning to the uploaded photos folder time and time again - even when they are moved to different folders on the same Dropbox account structure.  When I attempt to delete the photo, the Dropbox dialogue finds the previously moved photos in their correct location and asks if I want to delete these too.  Frustrating.

Rose C.2
New member | Level 1

how do I move/create a new file for select photos uploaded on my Android phone's Camera Uploads ?

This process will be an everyday event for me and need to understand how to do this. 

Rich
Super User II

Not sure if I completely understand what you're trying to do. If I've missed the mark, let me know.

All photos uploaded through the automatic upload process will always go into the Camera Uploads folder. You can't redirect them anywhere else during upload. You can create folders elsewhere in your Dropbox and move the photos uploaded on a given day to that folder, but there's no way to have that done automatically.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mark s.71 New member | Level 1
    martin h. New member | Level 1
    Steve H.77 New member | Level 2
    Mel C.9 New member | Level 1
    John B.79 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?