cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Write to a Dropbox folder on NTFS from linux

Write to a Dropbox folder on NTFS from linux

Lucian F.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello all,

I need some help with a syncing problem:

I plan to dual-boot linux and windows 10 (which is currently my main OS) and was wonderring if I can install dropbox in linux and get it to sync the Dropbox folder that resides on a NTFS partition. The idea is not to have the same data twice (once on the NTFS partition and second time on a linux only partition).

Thank you

Lucian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@seandarcy wrote:

When I try to move the Dropbox folder I get an error that the Dropbox folder  _has_ to be EXT4.

How do I get the Dropbox folder to the common NTFS partition ?

You won't be able to, or at least you won't be able to much longer.

On Nov. 7, 2018, Dropbox is ending support for syncing to drives with certain uncommon file systems. The supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and Ext4 for Linux.

So you won't be able to sync to an NTFS partion from a Linux OS. It has to be an EXT4 partition.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Make sure that your existing Dropbox folder is in a location that both operating systems can access. If needed, use Dropbox to move the Dropbox folder to the a location. Once Dropbox is in a common location, install Dropbox on the second OS. Towards the end of the install process you'll see an Advanced Options link. Click that and you'll have the option of specifying a new location for the Dropbox folder. Make sure you select the folder ABOVE the existing Dropbox folder, and not the Dropbox folder itself. If you select the existing Dropbox folder you'll end up making a second copy within the first.

Note: It's EXTREMELY important that you DO NOT USE Selective Sync on either OS when you use Dropbox like this. If you were to use Selective Sync to remove a local copy of a folder while logged into Windows, the folder would be removed locally and remain in the cloud as expected. However, when Dropbox on Linux indexes the files the next time you log in, it will see that a folder is missing, think that it was deleted, and it will delete the copy stored in the cloud.

sulli86
Super User alumni
Go to solution
Hey Lucian

According to https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/One-dropbox-folder-two-clients-on-a-dual-boot-system/idi-p/3... page 2 it is possible but you would need to try it

Lucian F.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Rich for you detailed response! My intended use was just as you described:

The Dropbox folder resides on an NTFS partition in order to be accesible from windows too (my main OS) which will be mounted at boot in linux. I have double checked that linux can write to an NTFS partition without issues.

In linux, I will install dropbox and have it point to the Dropbox folder on the NTFS partition without a selective sync. That was my intention from the beginning, I just didn't know if it was possible/safe to do.

seandarcy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm following the advice in this thread for installing dropbox on a dual boot W10/Fedora box. I have an NTFS partition that I use for data on both OS's, formatted  NTFS. I'm installing Dropbox on Fedora. When I try to move the Dropbox folder I get an error that the Dropbox folder  _has_ to be EXT4.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@seandarcy wrote:

When I try to move the Dropbox folder I get an error that the Dropbox folder  _has_ to be EXT4.

You won't be able to, or at least you won't be able to much longer.

On Nov. 7, 2018, Dropbox is ending support for syncing to drives with certain uncommon file systems. The supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and Ext4 for Linux.

So you won't be able to sync to an NTFS partion from a Linux OS. It has to be an EXT4 partition.

marianocabezon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
what a clear notice not possible to write on a NTFS partition from linux any more. should I understand it as an invitation to look for another cloud storage?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

To keep everything in one space please have a read of the thread discussing this over at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Dropbox-client-warns-me-that-it-ll-stop-syncing-...

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Scott M.58
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm dual booting Windows (yuck) and Linux - have to put Dropbox on a shared NTFS partition to work, which is does.

I sounds like I won't be able to use this NTFS partition for my Dropbox files come November?

If so, Dropbox - cancel my renewal this coming October.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

As @Mark stated above, to keep the discussion in a single location, please use this thread to discuss the upcoming changes related to partition types supported by Dropbox.

This thread is now closed.

Need more support?