cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can't copy the item because its name is too long er includes characters that are invalid on the.

You can't copy the item because its name is too long er includes characters that are invalid on the.

DeepFilip
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,
I have a Dropbox account with 2TB of which 6% is full right now. I am trying to copy a folder that only has a couple of GBs and I am getting this error message. What is wrong with the filename "IMG_4474.JPG"? I have copied folders with these type of filenames before and it worked perfectly. I am on a Macbook Pro with OS Mojave

Screenshot 2019-02-03 at 21.32.29.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@DeepFilip), thanks for keeping the thread updated with the progress & apologies for getting back in touch with you with a slight delay. While this has been discussed here previously, I’d happily explain in a bit more depth under this conversation for posterity.

It would be worth noting that there are files that your applications can't process correctly because they have file paths that are too long.

This behavior is present if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path. This means from the C:\ all the way to the extension of a file.

As an example if you had a test.txt file in your Dropbox that had the following path:

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Dropbox\test.txt

This file would have a path that is 47 characters long.

The Dropbox desktop application can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, which means that files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, &c.) might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show error messages when trying to open, save or edit them.

Hopefully my message addresses your initial inquiry, however please feel free to check back with us here if you have any additional questions or thoughts! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Your folder structure must be too long on the device you are copying it to. 

So, shorten the directory names and it should work (note that error isnt a Dropbox one its one from OS Majave)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DeepFilip
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I do not really understand what you mean, my folder names are very short. I tried to rename the folders and files but nothing seemed to help.

What did help, it seems, is to copy the folder from my external harddrive to my laptop first. And then from my laptop to my Dropbox folder. Very odd, especially given the error message that I was getting, which was not explanatory to the problem I seem to be having.

Could you note this and find out what exactly is going wrong here, so other users will not be facing this problem?

Thank you

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@DeepFilip), thanks for keeping the thread updated with the progress & apologies for getting back in touch with you with a slight delay. While this has been discussed here previously, I’d happily explain in a bit more depth under this conversation for posterity.

It would be worth noting that there are files that your applications can't process correctly because they have file paths that are too long.

This behavior is present if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path. This means from the C:\ all the way to the extension of a file.

As an example if you had a test.txt file in your Dropbox that had the following path:

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Dropbox\test.txt

This file would have a path that is 47 characters long.

The Dropbox desktop application can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, which means that files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, &c.) might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show error messages when trying to open, save or edit them.

Hopefully my message addresses your initial inquiry, however please feel free to check back with us here if you have any additional questions or thoughts! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

AngelinaD
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same issue. I am unable to open files with "long" names - which is ridiculous because I used to be able to. The file names on the files I have are typically less than 20 characters, but it won't save the file unless it is under 10-11 characters. I am working with work files which can sometimes consist of 20-50 character long file names and don't have the time to consistently save things to my physical hard drive, then drag and drop every time into DB. Another issue is that I am unable to open the long named files from the DB folder. I have to copy and paste it onto my Desktop in order to open these "long name" PDFs. Otherwise, it sends me an error message.

Please help sort of this issue and provide me with a solution.

-Lina

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @AngelinaD, the filepath should count from your C:\ drive onwards. As you mentioned that you’ve been able to open these files normally at a certain point, it makes me wonder if you’ve moved these files across directories. 

From what I gather from your description, I’d suspect an underlying syncing issue Lina; if it’s not too much trouble for you, can you confirm that this isn’t attributed to a missing desktop app update? Have you by any chance tried unlinking & relinking your account on your desktop once as a quick fix, since it recreates the local database? If you haven’t done so alreday, please do so whenever you find some spare time. Once you relink, you can refer to your overlay icons on your device to determine whether your files are syncing correctly :arrows_counterclockwise:/:white_check_mark:. From there, you can quickly upload a test file from you desktop & see if it's updating on our website?

Please do let us know how you get on with these steps on this discussion & we’ll do our best to check back with you. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

ldundercover
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had this problem, it happened after I upgraded to my OS to mojave and realized I needed to reinstalled the desktop app/ update dropbox.  I had to copy files from my back up that didnt get synced that were recently added to local on my desktop dropbox. The files wouldnt copy becuase of the name character error (some which were very short actually) and already existed on my dropbox- I was needing to replace large folders

The work around was that I copied the files local then uploaded the folder via online rather then drag onto the desktop, but not super ideal for folders with very large files depending on internet connection.

Barry_Flow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can try using this program LongPathTool. This will help you with the issue regarding name too long. Thank you.

Frank_Jones1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I would suggest you to try using this program LongPathTool. This will help you with the issue regarding name too long. It helped me alot. 

DermotPower
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you thank you thank you. This was driving me crazy. Your advice to copy the file to local drive worked v well. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    kylestauffer New member | Level 2
    mev9313 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?