cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: are already existing files uploading again? and slow performance

are already existing files uploading again? and slow performance

MerlintheMad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi all, first-time user here. I purchased the one-year account, because 2 GB is not remotely enough (go figure).

Here's my issue: when I first started to upload from my laptop (Windows 10), everything was moving smoothly. It said I had a day left to complete.

I was, of course, interrupted. When I opened Dropbox later to continue, it did not automatically resume as I expected it to. I had to manually drag the same folder that had been uploading before, from my laptop to the Dropbox window (that's how I got the uploader to start up in the first place). Uploading resumed and now my computer began to get slow.

I noticed that now I had FIVE days out before this nonsense would finish! Seriously, FIVE days? And the c. 6K files "left" had now become c. 17K files. I had left my 'puter running on this overnight.

What is going on here? I suspect that Dropbox is going over all the files that were already uploaded and uploading them again. I have observed what appears to be duplication of effort, i.e. the uploader is going over the same stuff on my computer, as if Dropbox hasn't received it already. And that is absolutely NOT what is supposed to be happening, since Dropbox's assertion is that it never uploads what it already has on site.

I thought that, in any case, Dropbox would not pig out my machine. So far, I am disappointed, just trying to get my computer's files backed up in the cloud is turning into a piggy pain in the keister.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

MerlintheMad wrote:

If I click and drag from my "C" drive "Pictures" and "Documents" folders, to the Dropbox folder, will that overwrite what Dropbox has already uploaded to the Website? Or will Dropbox simply ignore the files that are the same?

Dropbox will compare the files you put in the folder to the copies that it has online. If they're the same, nothing will happen. If they're different or don't already exist online, they will be uploaded. Just double check before you do that, because if they're already online, they're likely downloading to the Dropbox folder once you install Dropbox.

Or, should I simply delete everything Dropbox has done, through my prior messing around, and then click and drag new folders from "C" drive to Dropbox, i.e. start over fresh? Your advice on this is appreciated.

If it were me, I'd probably start fresh using the Dropbox folder on the computer.

One deciding factor would be your network speed and data limits. If you're on a fast connection with no limits, delete and start over. It just needs to reupload anything that you had already uploaded. If you have limits, then you probably don't want to start over so you're not wasting bandwidth.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

MerlintheMad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

To clarify: I want to know why Dropbox doesn't resume syning and upload the files from the folder and all subfolders that I have requested to upload to Dropbox. When I return to Dropbox after logging onto my computer, nothing happens. What am I missing here? Not knowing is what caused me to click and drag the folder a second and third time, each time I came back (logged on), to get the uploading process started again: which evidently is causing some sort of duplication of effort? Don't know!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It sounds like you're using your web browser and the Dropbox website to upload. Browser uploads and downloads are not resumable through the website. If you download and install the Dropbox client and put your files/folders in the Dropbox folder that gets created on your computer, they will be uploaded in 4MB chunks and will continue where left off if you need to pause syncing.

MerlintheMad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for replying:

What is the correct way to put my computer folders into the Dropbox client folder to get the uploading to the Dropbox Website going?  I tried dragging my pictures and documents folders there, and all it seemed to do was create shortcut links back to my computer folders.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

That depends on your OS, where the files are located and how you dragged them. Most often, when the file or folder you're dragging in on the same drive as the Dropbox folder, you just drag it into the folder. This will move the files into Dropbox (you don't want to copy them in, because then you have two separate copies on your computer). If the files are on a different drive, when you drag and drop, by default you're copying. You would usually hold down a modifier key (CTRL, or SHIFT, or Option, etc.) to change it to a move. Usually it's holding down some combination of modifer keys that causes a shortcut to be created instead of moving or copying the actual files. This is all controlled by your operating system and not Dropbox.

MerlintheMad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Another related question, then, before I start over: If I click and drag from my "C" drive "Pictures" and "Documents" folders, to the Dropbox folder, will that overwrite what Dropbox has already uploaded to the Website? Or will Dropbox simply ignore the files that are the same? Or, should I simply delete everything Dropbox has done, through my prior messing around, and then click and drag new folders from "C" drive to Dropbox, i.e. start over fresh? Your advice on this is appreciated.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

MerlintheMad wrote:

If I click and drag from my "C" drive "Pictures" and "Documents" folders, to the Dropbox folder, will that overwrite what Dropbox has already uploaded to the Website? Or will Dropbox simply ignore the files that are the same?

Dropbox will compare the files you put in the folder to the copies that it has online. If they're the same, nothing will happen. If they're different or don't already exist online, they will be uploaded. Just double check before you do that, because if they're already online, they're likely downloading to the Dropbox folder once you install Dropbox.

Or, should I simply delete everything Dropbox has done, through my prior messing around, and then click and drag new folders from "C" drive to Dropbox, i.e. start over fresh? Your advice on this is appreciated.

If it were me, I'd probably start fresh using the Dropbox folder on the computer.

One deciding factor would be your network speed and data limits. If you're on a fast connection with no limits, delete and start over. It just needs to reupload anything that you had already uploaded. If you have limits, then you probably don't want to start over so you're not wasting bandwidth.

MerlintheMad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Rich. I will delete and start over................

Need more support?