cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I combine files?

How can I combine files?

mlcampbell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a number of separate files that I want to combine into one file.  Any help on how to do this if at all?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @mlcampbell

Have you worked this out? 

Combining multiple files of the same type would require you to be able to edit these files. For example, if you have a few Word files, from which you would like to combine their contents into one, you would open them in Microsoft Word, and copy their content over to one document. 

If you have several files or folders that you would like to put into a single folder, you can move them using the move function on our website. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. 
Thanks! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @Alidor L.!

If you’re trying to move photos from your desktop app, please remember that your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer, so you can follow the same process as you would to move files.

If you’re trying to move files from the website, you can do this by:
  1. Signing in.
  2. Click on Files. 
  3. Locate the photo or file you want to move. 
  4. Hover over it and select it by clicking on the box that appears on the left-hand side of the file. You can also move multiple files in the same manner, by selecting them. 
  5. Choose Move that appears as an option on the right-hand side of your screen. 
  6. Find the folder you want to move it into and click it.
  7. Select Move.  
If you’re trying to move files into a folder though your mobile app:
  1. Navigate to Files
  2. Locate the file you want to move and tap on the vertical ellipsis (⋮). If you’re looking to move more than one file into a folder, tap on the icon that looks like a box with a check-mark that’s on the top right-hand corner of your screen and select the photos.
  3. Select Move.
    1. If you’re using an Android, tap on the vertical ellipsis (⋮) that’s on the top right-hand corner of your screen for the option to appear. 
    2. If you’re using an iOS, the option will be shown on the bottom of your screen.
  4. Find the folder you want to move it into and select it it.
    1. On the iOS, you will have to find the folder and set it as a location before given the option to move it there. 
  5. Select Move once again
I hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @mlcampbell, thanks for dropping your question on the Forum, & welcome aboard!

From what I understand, you want to combine your files into one. Could you please specify what type of files they are (for example, Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF)? Let me know & I’ll try to duplicate the appropriate process from my end as well.

If this is not the case, could it be that you are referring to folders? In this case, could you please clarify what it is that you’re trying to do?

Thanks in advance & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you on this discussion. In the mean time, have a wonderful day!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @mlcampbell

Have you worked this out? 

Combining multiple files of the same type would require you to be able to edit these files. For example, if you have a few Word files, from which you would like to combine their contents into one, you would open them in Microsoft Word, and copy their content over to one document. 

If you have several files or folders that you would like to put into a single folder, you can move them using the move function on our website. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. 
Thanks! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Alidor L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I too want to simply combine the pictures that i have in two folders (or are they "files"?) Where is the "Move" function that is referenced in the above answer.  I don't see it.

Thanks

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @Alidor L.!

If you’re trying to move photos from your desktop app, please remember that your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer, so you can follow the same process as you would to move files.

If you’re trying to move files from the website, you can do this by:
  1. Signing in.
  2. Click on Files. 
  3. Locate the photo or file you want to move. 
  4. Hover over it and select it by clicking on the box that appears on the left-hand side of the file. You can also move multiple files in the same manner, by selecting them. 
  5. Choose Move that appears as an option on the right-hand side of your screen. 
  6. Find the folder you want to move it into and click it.
  7. Select Move.  
If you’re trying to move files into a folder though your mobile app:
  1. Navigate to Files
  2. Locate the file you want to move and tap on the vertical ellipsis (⋮). If you’re looking to move more than one file into a folder, tap on the icon that looks like a box with a check-mark that’s on the top right-hand corner of your screen and select the photos.
  3. Select Move.
    1. If you’re using an Android, tap on the vertical ellipsis (⋮) that’s on the top right-hand corner of your screen for the option to appear. 
    2. If you’re using an iOS, the option will be shown on the bottom of your screen.
  4. Find the folder you want to move it into and select it it.
    1. On the iOS, you will have to find the folder and set it as a location before given the option to move it there. 
  5. Select Move once again
I hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Alidor L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, Lusil!

gb96
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Not sure what the OP wanted, but I found this thead when trying to find a way to concatenate text files within Dropbox.
I have over 5000 ascii text files in a single Dropbox folder I would like to concatenate into a single new ascii text file.
In a un*x shell I would simply do
cat *.txt > outputfile
Hoping for a Dropbox server-side solution to avoid needlessly downloading the 5000+ files to the client.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@gb96 wrote:
Hoping for a Dropbox server-side solution to avoid needlessly downloading the 5000+ files to the client.

Dropbox has no such feature.

Joyce147
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Not sure what kind of file you want to combine. If media files, you can try Joyoshare Video Joiner. It is what I have been using to combine audio and video files. It can help you do it without quality loss. What's more, it offers 10 times to use for free.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joyce147 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    gb96 New member | Level 2
    Alidor L. New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?