cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

folder name change causes sync issues

folder name change causes sync issues

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm renaming folders in an attempt to get shorter paths (to get rid of these sync problems). Renaming a folder has lead to sync issues several times. After changing a folder name on the mac desktop app (v57.4.89) dropbox displays the "can't sync folder not empty" error for some folder contained in the folder with the different name that used to sync just fine. Resolved by removing the folder from Selective Sync, quit and restart DB, waiting to sync, adding the folder back and waiting to sync. 

Is it better to change names on the web interface and let the changes sync to the computers from there?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, sorry to hear about this. 

@g v. wrote:

Is it better to change names on the web interface and let the changes sync to the computers from there? 

Indeed, it might be a resolution to the behavior you’re experiencing. Try it out, and if you’re still getting some trouble or you’re seeing an error, send me a screenshot (omitting any personal info) so as to have a better understanding of what occurred. 

In any case, let me know how it goes! :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, sorry to hear about this. 

@g v. wrote:

Indeed, it might be a resolution to the behavior you’re experiencing. Try it out, and if you’re still getting some trouble or you’re seeing an error, send me a screenshot (omitting any personal info) so as to have a better understanding of what occurred. 

In any case, let me know how it goes! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

thanks, that went very fast now.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear that, @g v.

If you have any other questions in the future, just give us a shout. In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead! :sunglasses:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

addition: cleaning up more folders like this I frequently ended up with "folder_name (Selective Sync Conflict)" folders that contained only files with long file names and special characters, mostly | from saving websites. So even if Dropbox is usually able to sync them as long as I stay on a mac, they can cause problems anyway. 

iizuum
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've changed the name of the online only folder from my MAc's dropbox  interface - and now online it says "folder deleted" and all my online files are gone!  that's 20 years worth of photo library! Help

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @iizuum, sorry to hear about that. 

Initially, please note that renaming a folder or a file doesn’t mean that your content will be removed from your Dropbox account. 

Since moving any content is considered a deletion from one location and an addition to another, could it be that you also moved the folder?

Additionally, do you see the files when you search for them (either by navigating through the relevant path or by looking them up from the website)?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

kinman1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This might be fine going forward, but having changed the folder name on one computer (and the sync proceeding just fine), my other computer shows a few files with this problem. I have quit the Desktop app and restarted, as well as unlinking and relinking (logging out and logging in) the local DB folder. Neither of these worked. When I look at "View sync issues," it indicates that I need to uncheck the "locked" box in file info, which of course is definitely not the problem (yes I looked).

It's not a permission problem either, as the permissions are the same for every file in that folder (and that folder), where everything else sync'd up just fine.  If it makes a difference, these are .m4v and VOB files. Thanks in advance.

MacPro/OSX-Mojave/DB v79.4.143

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @kinman1

Could you please provide me with more info on the behavior you're experiencing so that I have a better understanding of your concern? For example:

• Are you removing or renaming files from one computer and another computer is attempting to resync them? 
  • You also mention an error prompted by the desktop app. Could you please send me a screenshot of it (without any personal info)?

Any additional details would be very helpful. Thanks ina dvance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

kinman1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Lusil,

I've posted detailed descriptions, including screenshots as requested, and I get a message that says it needs approval, or it was rejected as spam. I'll try re-posting without the screenshots, as perhaps that's the problem.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    kinman1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?