Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

headless linux server dropbox syncing paused and won't resume

Hi, I have a headless linux vm that has been running dropbox for linux without problems for a year or more.  Suddenly today 'dropbox.py status' returns "syncing paused". I can't seem to find any dropbox command to unpause from the command line.

I've stopped and started the services, rebooted the VM, and verified I'm not out of disk space.  Still always "syncing paused".  There is no Dropbox logging I can find to indicate what's going on.  

Any ideas what could be wrong?

3 Replies

Re: headless linux server dropbox syncing paused and won't resume

I'm guessing it must be something to do with the removal of support for anything but ext4 file system.  The filesystem dropbox is on is ext3.  I'm running headless on this server and rarely log in, so I never got any kind of warning.

What a mess.  I would really like a way to move the Dropbox folder to a new filesystem without having to spend days resyncing 500+ GB of files.  "Move Dropbox folder" doesn't seem obviously supported for Linux at the command line...

Any tips appreciated.

Well, I just remounted my existing ext3 filesystem as ext4 by simply changing the type in /etc/fstab and Dropbox started syncing again.  I'll go about the process of fully upgrading to ext4, but that's a quick work around that got all the unsynced files up to Dropbox.  Hope this helps someone else.

Was able to do the upgrade from ext3 to ext4 very easily since I had Dropbox on its own filesystem that could be unmounted. If Dropbox is on your boot filesystem, you'll have to temporarily boot from a Linux boot image of some sort.

I read a couple tutorials first, but you can do something like this (replace /dev/sdb1 with whatever your device is):

• sudo tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/sdb1
  • umount /dev/sdb1
  • sudo fsck -pf /dev/sdb1
    • (this did the actual upgrade and took about 10 mins on my ~500GB Dropbox volume)
  • now edit /etc/fstab to change the entry's filesystem type from ext3 to ext4
  • remount everything with "sudo mount -a"

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

headless linux server dropbox syncing paused and won't resume
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post