cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I transfer photos from dropbox to my computer and delete them from my dropbox?

how do I transfer photos from dropbox to my computer and delete them from my dropbox?

Ida L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to move all my photos/files from dropbox to an external hard drive, remove them from my dropbox without delete any photos by mistake or anything. This is to organize my photos and files properly, so I can use my dropbox as a temporarily back up for my more recent photos which is why I wanted to use dropbox as in the first place!

There are several photos on my dropbox that doesn't show in my dropbox-app for my pc but I have a lot of old pictures there and I don't want to delete them, only remove them from dropbox and keep them on my computer. I have approximately 231 recent photos(on my phone) that I can't save on my dropbox because I don't have enough space. But I don't want to upgrade since I don't really need that much space. I just want to transfer them to an external hard drive via my computer.

I'm not good in English, but I hope someone understand what I want to do and can help me!

69 Replies 69

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Kate - why not just download the desktop client and let Dropbox do what its supposed to do - download everything instantly from the cloud to folders on your machine?

www.dropbox.com/install 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

charles r.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Mark Mc

the reason I don't download the desktop client is that I don't trust myself to understand it.   Like many of those who commented above, I did not know that my photos were being pirated away from my computer -- I joined dropbox only so that I could share my choir's music files.  Now I find that my dropbox space is full of my photos, without my understanding or permission.  I want my photos back.  And I want dropbox to provide clear step-by-step instructions how to get my photos off dropbox and back on my computer in my "photos" file.  I expect that from you.  I looked at the "desktop client" file, and it is not clear to me what happens when I use it.  Trust issue here.

charles r.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Mark Mc

the reason I don't download the desktop client is that I don't trust myself to understand it.   Like many of those who commented above, I did not know that my photos were being pirated away from my computer -- I joined dropbox only so that I could share my choir's music files.  Now I find that my dropbox space is full of my photos, without my understanding or permission.  I want my photos back.  And I want dropbox to provide clear step-by-step instructions how to get my photos off dropbox and back on my computer in my "photos" file.  I expect that from you.  I looked at the "desktop client" file, and it is not clear to me what happens when I use it.  Trust issue here.

Shirley C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

All these people have the same question.  

how do I transfer photos from dropbox to my computer?

I don't see any answers!!!!!  Why????

Kate L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Folks....emailing from the phone to yourself with several photos attached from your phone's gallery so you can download and save the photos on a laptop or in a thumb drive really works. It took awhile to transfer the first 100 or so photos, but now I do a mail over about twice a week. I left those photos in drop box just for backup....I just collected them into a folder.

Tom P.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey I have an Idea. How about some nice rep from Drop Box answer this simple question that everyone including myself needs to know. " I want to take all my photos and videos from my drop Box and transfer them to my PC hard drive" and in a simple way that doesn't take a month to do so.......right ? please someone from DB answer this question. 

Shirley C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I finally figured it out, no thanks to any help from dropbox people.

I put the pictures in dropbox up on 1/2 of the screen, then a folder in C: drive on computer.

Click on folder of pictures in dropbox, hold the control key (for windows) and drag it over to the computer folder, this copies them.  BUT watch carefully because if it isn't dragged right to the folder you want, sometimes it moves them.  Now you have them on both dropbox & computer.

What I must of done when I wanted to copy them into dropbox, was hold the shift key or dragged them and not watched that it only copied them, and that MOVED them into dropbox and they were gone from my computer.  

I had over 12,000 pictures of wild native orchids and was sick when I thought I had lost them from the computer.

Shirley

Felicia D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

yes, i'm not familiar with technical knowledge and dislike dropbox. to me it seems it clouds photos and then i get to pay to put more on this mystical cloud designed to earn money. i have lots of space on my computer hard drive but i can't upload photos which is what i want to do.

i've read the last answer which sounds great, however, i'm not sure how to get a folder/c: drive or anything to upload the photos there.

i'm really screwed.

i wish it were easier for me.

ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i now dislike taking photos.

i went on vacation and the people i went with are waiting for me to send them photos. i can't. i can only see them on my camera.

geezzzz, i'm not a happy camper.

suggestions?????

Shirley C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Gee..it's really easy but writing it down the steps might make sound hard. You really need a friend to sit down with you and show you the steps. I'll try. 

1. Go to C: (drive) right click on your mouse,  go down to NEW,  click right for FOLDER.

2. You'll see a new folder in your list called "New Folder",   right click to RENAME,  give it a name such as PICTURES. .

3. You need a cable from your cell phone or camera plugged into the computer.

4.  You need a program to view your pictures and edit them.  I like Picasa (google) it's very easy to use and FREE.  

5. Now you can go to Picasa and choose to import, (top left)... it will show the pictures that are on your camera say, You can choose all of them or pick the ones you want to go on your computer.

6.  You can choose to delete them off your camera or leave them there.

7.  Down at the bottom of Picasa, it shows you where the pictures are going. Change it to say C:/ PICTURES.  Your pictures are there!  You can edit them and send them via email to your friends.

Hope this helps. 

Jolene S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It took me a long time to figure this out. I had about 4K pictures. All you need to do is open one window for dropbox folders and another for your local drive and download each folder (will probably load as a Zip) and then just drag the zip file into your local drive.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alessandro P.7 New member | Level 1
    Sabrina S.2 New member | Level 1
    Barbara D. New member | Level 1
    jimmy n.5 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?