cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I transfer photos from dropbox to my computer and delete them from my dropbox?

how do I transfer photos from dropbox to my computer and delete them from my dropbox?

Ida L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to move all my photos/files from dropbox to an external hard drive, remove them from my dropbox without delete any photos by mistake or anything. This is to organize my photos and files properly, so I can use my dropbox as a temporarily back up for my more recent photos which is why I wanted to use dropbox as in the first place!

There are several photos on my dropbox that doesn't show in my dropbox-app for my pc but I have a lot of old pictures there and I don't want to delete them, only remove them from dropbox and keep them on my computer. I have approximately 231 recent photos(on my phone) that I can't save on my dropbox because I don't have enough space. But I don't want to upgrade since I don't really need that much space. I just want to transfer them to an external hard drive via my computer.

I'm not good in English, but I hope someone understand what I want to do and can help me!

69 Replies 69

michelle b.32
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Shirley I tried that what you suggested but I cant get it . what a nightmare for such a easy task -(

Chip M.4
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I tried dragging the photos from an album in dropbox to my hard drive (using a Mac), but the photos do not drag outside of Dropbox at all.

I really want to recover my photos to my computer!

Please help.

Mohamed A.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just double click the image on dropbox website. It will open the image. Right click on image and it will give you download option. 

whatables.com

Janet R.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem; can't transfer my photos to other places on my computer.  I am very disappointed that Dropbox does not have instructions on how this is done.

J E.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same fricking issue, I took pics on my tablet and they appear in my Dropbox. I don't recall ever syncing the two. I'm out of space on my Dropbox because of all the photos that filled up my Dropbox that I never intended to go to my Dropbox. I'd like to transfer those photos to a flash drive. Where is the help? Where is the love?  I'll have to terminate my Dropbox account because of the intolerable lack of help for what should be a simple transfer procedure. A procedure should be a FAQ with an understandable answer.     

Leah K.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Folks, I have emailed Dropbox about their blackmailing users into buying expanded space by holding our photos for ransom. If they don't respond, I am filing a complaint with the California state attorney's office against them for fraudulent business practices. I suggest you do the same thing in your home states. Maybe the threat of a class action lawsuit will make them more responsive and persuade them to clean up their act. This is ridiculous!

Skills F.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is going to be a long post, but since I teach computer classes I like to be as detailed as possible, so people with basic computer skills can follow the steps. I tried downloading all the pictures but it didn't work because it was too large to download, so I downloaded by month.These are the steps:

1. On your computer go to the Pictures folder and create sub folders. I like to rename the folders by year, then by month, such as 2015-12. If you already have sub folders you can skip this step.

2. Go to Dropbox, click to the right of the first picture (in a blank area). Do not click on the picture icon because you don't want to open it.

3. Hold the Shift key and click the last picture of that month. The first one, last one and the ones in between will be selected.

4. Click Download.

5. It might take a while to download depending on the size. If nothing happens is because you have too many pictures selected. My way around that was to select the first half and then repeat the steps for the second half.

6. Once it finishes downloading you can click on the zip folder to open it.

7. If you can't see it, just go to Start Menu - File Explorer (if you are using Windows 10). Click Downloads on the left pane and you will see the zip folder. Double-click to open.

8. Hold the Ctrl key and press A (Ctrl+A is just a shortcut to select all). Then Ctrl+C to copy.

9. Go to your Pictures folder, find the sub folder where you want to paste the pictures and click Ctrl+V (to paste).

10. Now your pictures will be in your computer. I suggest backing up all the pictures to an external hard drive.

Please write comments letting us know if these steps worked for you.

Brian T.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I was having troubles also but used this method.  Just learned about it today so wanted to share.

View your photos as a timeline rather than one big list.  This will group them into smaller batches.

Two choices - right click on the date above the first photo in a group then left click Select All - or hover above the photo at the right side of the first row and left click Select.  This should highlight them as a selected group.

Then hover over any of the photos to see the check mark.  Right click on the check mark then left click Download.  You should get the message bar at the bottom of your desktop asking what you want to do with them.

You can select save-as and put them in a folder anywhere, or just select save and they will go into your Downloads folder.  They will be saved as zip folders.

Repeat for all groups.  Hope this works!

J E.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks so much to both of you, I'll give it a try. .

Sandy C.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Skills F-That worked for me, i had to do mine in 3 seperate rounds because they are high res modeling pix that were emailed to me.  i thought i was gonna pull my hair out. Thank you so much!!!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alessandro P.7 New member | Level 1
    Sabrina S.2 New member | Level 1
    Barbara D. New member | Level 1
    jimmy n.5 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?