cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how do i resume an interrupted upload?

How do i resume an interrupted upload?

joseph s.30
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

if i upload large files to my dropbox account and my laptop goes to sleep the upload is interrupted. how do i resume the upload without beginning the process again?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charles S.35
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think I found a work around

click the # of files left hyper link

cancel the download of the current interupted file. 

The next file in line should begin downloading at that point.

Make a note of the missed file to upload at a later time

and change your settings so the cpu doest go to sleep.

Apple logo>System preferences>energy saver>sleep time never

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you're using the Dropbox client, it will handle that on its own. If you're uploading through the Dropbox website, you can't resume an upload.

joseph s.30
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thanks, not sure why they would program it that way

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Program it what way? It already does exactly what you want it to. If the sync process is interrupted, when it resumes it just picks up where it left off. It doesn't start the transfer all over again (it does need to index the file to see where it left off, but that's it).

joseph s.30
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i guess i don''t understand. if i'm uploading via the website and the upload is interrupted why can't they program it so that when i reconnect the upload continues? also, the program doesn't record it as an error, it says that it is uploading files while it isn't

Charles S.35
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think I found a work around

click the # of files left hyper link

cancel the download of the current interupted file. 

The next file in line should begin downloading at that point.

Make a note of the missed file to upload at a later time

and change your settings so the cpu doest go to sleep.

Apple logo>System preferences>energy saver>sleep time never

ebrilla
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Man ... you are brilliant! You don't know how many times I have been frustrated with this little (BIG!!!) issue. I upload files > 20 GB at a time and it has happened to me so many times (Mainly because of bad internet or someone closing the lid of the laptop).

It is crazy foolish to me that the programers of a product like DropBox that revolves around UPLOADING and DOWNLOADING would not foresee AND go through the trouble of fixing such a common and frustrating issue for their clients!
Thank you Charles S.35! TY1 TY! TY!

Kalle H.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for finding a sollution! But what is the hyperlink? And where is it?

ebrilla
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is a sample image of what you see when you receive that error.

Dropbox Upload Error.png

You would just need to click on the "X's" on the files that did not upload properly (Files in the "pink bands" that say "Upload Error") and that will reactivate the rest of the uploads.

You will have to take note of the names of these files that have the failed uploads and that you are deleting so you can upload them again after the current uploads are done.

Hope this explains it better!

scriptysandy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ugh!  I was so happy to find this work-around but it isn't working for me.   The next file loads half way and then stops.  So I deleted that one and same happens to the next one.  

Need more support?