cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: i Phone X cannot import photos -device is locked

i Phone X cannot import photos -device is locked

DD2002
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When I plug into my iPhone X with my computer (Windows 10)  dropbox pops up a message ''Device is locked'' 

I tried all the ways that I read here in Dropbox support but nothing works .

I choosed ''I trust '' to my phone , I reinstalled dropbox in my computer, I opened the photos when I pluged the device and I changed the preferences in dropbox about asking me everytime about what to do with this device . What else can I do ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi DD2002

As you mention that you already tried the steps that @Walt3R provided you with, next thing you should try is resetting your Camera Upload settings. This will allow your computer to automatically upload photos to Dropbox each time you plug in your mobile device. You can change your import preferences from the Dropbox application on your computer. 

To do this, follow the instructions below:

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel.
• Select "Preferences".
• In the window that appears, click on "Change AutoPlay Settings".
• In the AutoPlay settings, scroll down and choose the camera you want to change settings for. It will likely have "Import pictures and video using Dropbox" as the default.
• Click on the drop-down menu and choose "Ask me every time" or choose a different application for importing.

Let me know if this helps!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DD2002 - welcome to the Dropbox Community and thanks for reaching out!

This specific message you are seeing "Device is locked"  is generated by Apple for security reasons. As you already know, your device needs to be told to “Trust" the computer you are plugging into before Dropbox will be able to read any information from that device. 

Follow the steps outlined here to make sure that your mobile device is trusted by your computer:

Plug your iPhone into your computer.

• Your computer will report that your device is locked.
  • On your mobile device, you should see a message that asks if you'd like to trust the computer that you are currently plugged into.
  • Tap “Trust" on your mobile device.

I understand you have already done this but we’ve found that it can take several attempts before the mobile device will fully register that you trust the computer, so you may need to try the steps above more than once to resolve this issue.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if this worked for you!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DD2002
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I did this already and nothing happens . Is there anything else to do ?

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi DD2002

As you mention that you already tried the steps that @Walt3R provided you with, next thing you should try is resetting your Camera Upload settings. This will allow your computer to automatically upload photos to Dropbox each time you plug in your mobile device. You can change your import preferences from the Dropbox application on your computer. 

To do this, follow the instructions below:

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel.
• Select "Preferences".
• In the window that appears, click on "Change AutoPlay Settings".
• In the AutoPlay settings, scroll down and choose the camera you want to change settings for. It will likely have "Import pictures and video using Dropbox" as the default.
• Click on the drop-down menu and choose "Ask me every time" or choose a different application for importing.

Let me know if this helps!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @DD2002

Just wanted to check in with you, and see how this is going. Let us know.

Have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

WGPearman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I am now experiencing the same issues with my iPhone, trying to import my photos. I tried all the steps listed here, and still getting the "device is locked" popup, when the phone is trusted with the computer AND auto was reset... what more can I do? Can't find anything else on this subject beyond what has already been discussed. This is really frustrating.  

Thanks for the help,

WGPearman

PZiedr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Windows 10 shows no DropBox icon in the system tray....

marcdeschenes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The answer is stupidly easy and should have been fixed a long time ago.

Unplug iPhone from PC.

Right click on Dropbox icon, click on on gear (settings) icons and select Exit Dropbox.

Plug in iPhone, Dropbox will autostart and voila!

I can repeat this behavior every time I plug in the iPhone whilst Dropbox is running.

Good luck! 

haleb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just got an iPhone XS.

Realized my 8 hadn't synced to Dropbox in over 8 months.

Spent 3 hours on these forums - uninstalling and reinstalling, resetting autoplay settings, restarting, etc. etc. (all the time the phone had trusted the computer)...

And this solved it. Someone at Dropbox take note, seriously (@Norah ?). This should be in a help article or something.

Wiel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanxk you for this easy but usefull solution. At last it works.....

Need more support?