Announcements
Known issues - updated July 19th see more

moving files to a folder not synced on my computer

5 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 3

moving files to a folder not synced on my computer

Hi, I have a backup photo folder that I don't sync to my computer (I've not checked that folder on selective sync in preferences).  I have a new 33G iPhoto library that I would like to move into that folder, getting it off my hard drive because I'm running out of room.  

I copied the new photo library into my dropbox folder using the desktop app.  But when I try and move it into the backup photo folder using the web app, it says that there are too many files and I need to use the desktop app.  But I can't use the desktop app because the backup photo folder isn't one of my desktop app folders.  

Is there a workaround for this ? I don't have space to put all of my old photo libraries back on my computer.

Thanks!

5 Replies
Super User

Re: moving files to a folder not synced on my computer

I am having problems understanding where those iPhotos reside.  Is it a folder on your computer?  if so, can you move them to your Dropbox folder.  I believe you were trying to upload them via Browser, correct?  that is when you were having errors.  Or am I missing something here?

In the past when I was very limited on space on the HD, I wanted to use Selective Sync, and you need all those to reside on the HD to work, I had to move a bunch of files out of Dropbox folder just to make it work.  Then go into Selective Sync and select what is needed and then once everything is indexed and good, I moved those bunch of files back inside Dropbox folder.  It indexed and it worked

Is this what you are asking?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Kudo would be super.  Thanks!

Level 3

Thanks for your response.  I think that's a version of what I'm asking.

The photos are in a folder on dropbox.  But I wanted to put them in a different folder that is not synced to my harddrive. I don't need to upload it but move it.  ButI can't move it into that different folder from my desktop app (because it's not on my hard drive), and the file is to big for it to work through the web browser. From what you say, it sounds like I would need to add both folders onto my hard drive in order to be able to move it through the desktop app, then take the one I don't want off again once it was moved.  So I would have to take a lot of files off my hard drive temporarily in order to make space on my hard drive for the folder that is not on there now.

I was hoping there was an easier solution but it sounds like there probably isn't.  Thanks!

Super User

Thanks for clarifying a few things.  well, question, can you move it via phone?  if you can, it will appear on HD but because of HD space, you can then go thru preferences in the Desktop app and select that particular folder in Selective Sync to NOT sync.  and since you are doing via Phone, it would not be on your phone HD either.  Hope I make sense

I hope this helps otherwise, I don't think there is any other way

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Kudo would be super.  Thanks!

Level 2

This would be a great feature, if it's not already - I don't see it available, to be able to "archive" files but not sync that archive file. I've been doing the same process with my files but it is a pain to use the desktop app then go to the web app to move the folder since the folder is not on selective sync on the desktop app to save space. It would help if there was a convenient way to either mark a folder to be moved to a non synced folder or to send it to the archive folder in dropbox but off the computer.

I have not run into the error of having too many files when moving the folder. Just when uploading. I really hope Dropbox can find a solution to this problem.

Level 2

Perhaps you can make a folder within the photo libraries folder and only selective sync that folder and move the new photo library there. That way you're not syncing the whole photo libraries but just part of it. And then once it's synced, remove it from your selective sync.
Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4933
Mark 3902
Jane 1121
Greg K. 830
Tom_M 886