cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

preserving dropbox sync status in a windows 10 restore

preserving dropbox sync status in a windows 10 restore

Jeff S.73
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

after the recent windows 10 update I am having issues that require that I restore windows 10 to pre-upddate status.

I did this once last year and it destroyed the sync between dropbox desktop and dropbox cloud.  I still haven't fully recovered from that nightmare.

I want to do it right this time.  what should I do with dropbox desktop files and dropbox cloud settings before moving ahead to revert windows 10 to its pre-update status.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi Jeff, I am not sure what type of Windows restore you are goint to perform. I assume that Windows will remove your Dropbox files during the restoration process. In that case, I would suggest the following: 

1. Make sure Dropbox has completed all syncing process, and Dropbox is Up to date
  2. Quit Dropbox application. 
  3. Backup your Dropbox folder in an external hard drive. It is not necessary if you don't mind downloading your local data agin from the Dropbox server. If you have lot of data, you may consider backing up locally. 
  4. Perform the windows resotoration process. 
  5. Once the process is completed, install the latest version of Dropbox app, and login. Change the Selective Sync settings (if applicable). Note that if Windows restoration did not change your Dropbox files, that's all you need to do. Make sure that the Dropbox location is same as before the restoration. 
  6. If Windows restoration deteted your files and if you are ok with downloading your local data again, then you should just let it sync. If you don't want your local data to be downloaded agin, pause Dropbox sync. Copy the local files from your backup to Dropbox folder, and resume sync. 
  7. Dropbox might re-index your files agin, just give it some time, and all should be fine. 

View solution in original post

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I agree with Elixir, however I do have a warning about step 5.

If Windows restores some of the files, it might overwrite the files on the Dropbox site with the older versions, and cause more headaches.

Regardless of how Windows restores it, I’d recommend deleting the existing Dropbox folder on the computer and then skipping directly to step 6, either allowing it to download all files again, or using the ‘pause syncing’ method, which can also be found on our site (though it refers to moving to a new computer, the steps are the same).

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi Jeff, I am not sure what type of Windows restore you are goint to perform. I assume that Windows will remove your Dropbox files during the restoration process. In that case, I would suggest the following: 

1. Make sure Dropbox has completed all syncing process, and Dropbox is Up to date
  2. Quit Dropbox application. 
  3. Backup your Dropbox folder in an external hard drive. It is not necessary if you don't mind downloading your local data agin from the Dropbox server. If you have lot of data, you may consider backing up locally. 
  4. Perform the windows resotoration process. 
  5. Once the process is completed, install the latest version of Dropbox app, and login. Change the Selective Sync settings (if applicable). Note that if Windows restoration did not change your Dropbox files, that's all you need to do. Make sure that the Dropbox location is same as before the restoration. 
  6. If Windows restoration deteted your files and if you are ok with downloading your local data again, then you should just let it sync. If you don't want your local data to be downloaded agin, pause Dropbox sync. Copy the local files from your backup to Dropbox folder, and resume sync. 
  7. Dropbox might re-index your files agin, just give it some time, and all should be fine. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I agree with Elixir, however I do have a warning about step 5.

If Windows restores some of the files, it might overwrite the files on the Dropbox site with the older versions, and cause more headaches.

Regardless of how Windows restores it, I’d recommend deleting the existing Dropbox folder on the computer and then skipping directly to step 6, either allowing it to download all files again, or using the ‘pause syncing’ method, which can also be found on our site (though it refers to moving to a new computer, the steps are the same).

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jeff S.73
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

thanks Elixr and Agent Jay for your responses.

to answer Elixr's question, I would only be reverting windows 10 to remove a windows 10 update. this process does not delete my files or folders. However, from experience, I know that this process does affect dropbox's tracking of the sync status between my online dropbox files and their respective copies on my local desktop machine, and can cause major issues downstream.

I should also note that I cannot delete my local copies of my  files stored in my desktop dropbox folder, as not all of them are synced up to my online dropbox folder, as selective sync is turned off on certain folders, due to issues arising from my previous bout with a windows 10 update earlier this year.

So if it is possible to advise a means by which I can maintain both my desktop dropbox folders and my online dropbox folders in their current status, I would appreciate it.  If your earlier advice will do it, let me know.

thanks again!

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

@Jeff S.73 If Windows restore does not affect your local files and folders, after the reinstallation and relinking Dropbox app should not cause any problem provided you preserve all settings including Dropbox folder location. However, Dropbox app might reindex your files agin, just give it some time, and everything should be alright. It is recommended that you make a backup copy of your local data to an external drive, there is a small but finite chance that things go wrong during Windows restoration process. 

Jeff S.73
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Elixr, thanks!  Does the info in my earlier reply result in any changes to the steps that you described earlier?

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

@Jeff S.73 You may follow my steps above. However, I would recommend that you make a backup copy of your Dropbox folder to an external hard drive if possible. 

lllJameslll
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am just posting a warning to anyone reading the above advice based on my experience.

If you use windows system restore although it should not effect files and folders it will effect your dropbox files. I had to preform a system restore on a Windows 7 machine that was dated from 7 days previous to the restore date.

After the restore Dropbox treated the restored folders that existed and had the information from 7 day before as the most recent file and overwrote the newer cloud storage versions essentially deleting anything that was done in those 7 days.

This happened to be a lot of very important information in my case. Luckily with the help of the support team they were able to restore all the files from the 30day backup they keep. This was done within a few hours but caused a lot of stress due to the importance of the files.

If you are going to use system restore function in windows you must backup your data from dropbox if there has been any changes to the files between the date you restore and the restore point you use. If you do not you may face possible hassle in recovery and potentially loss of data.

I have a large amount of data so backing up is very troublesome and this problem with the dropbox/windows system restore has made a simple and usefull windows recovery tool much more hassle to use.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lllJameslll New member | Level 2
    Elixir Super User
    Jeff S.73 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?