Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

super duper slow upload

Level 2

So, I'm syncing at around 3-5Mbps.  Originally I thought that it was my internet (at the time I had a 20/5 connection) that was the limiting factor.    I upgraded so I could upload client files to dropbox faster. I now have 20Mbps upload speed, yet still only see 3-5Mbps to Dropbox.   I've had the cable company out, they replaced the line to the pole and a batch of connectors in tehe house, still 3-5Mbps.  

bandwidth limits are off, I've tried several computers, I even tried using the Transmit app, still 3-5Mbps. (as I type this I'm actually only at 2.5Mbps).    I've tested long uploads to iCloud Drive, Box and FTP to my web host, both of those go at a solid 22Mbps, topping out as high as 24Mbps. 

Why is Dropbox so slow? 

3 Replies

Re: super duper slow upload

Super User II

A couple things to keep in mind...

While most ISPs and speed test sites display their results in bits (kilo or mega), the speeds reported by Dropbox are in bytes. Be sure to do the conversion before comparing. Your 3MB/s transfer speed as reported by Dropbox is approximately 24Mb/s.

Also, each file that you upload is hashed, compressed, then transferred, encrypted, and stored on the Dropbox servers. That entire process is included in the aggregate MB/s speed that's displayed in the Dropbox sync status. In other words, it's not just a transfer speed and can't be directly compared to the upload and download speeds provided by your ISP.

Level 2

Oh, I wish it registered 3MBps!  I'd be happy as a clam.  But no, it's usualy somewhere around 400-500KBps if I look at what Dropbox reports.    I'm also watching my gateway.  During the last upload it reported I had an average outbound speed of 3.75Mbps with a peak of 5.24Mbps.    

Level 2

So more testing.  I had to send some files at work, so I got to use the speedy network here, basically only limited by the WiFi.   But I only managed to upload at 2MBps. tested the same files to my hosting service and got 7MBps and my own home system via FTP and got a solid 5.5MBps(Good chance the server itself is the limiting factor there, its old).   But the upload was only done as a test to my outbound speed from home, so downloading that same file back gave be a steady 2.8MBps.   so the bandwith is there, its solid and steady even on multi gigabite transfers.    Limiting factor appears to be related to Dropbox. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

super duper slow upload
3 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post