In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

syncing dropbox app

SOLVED
9 Comments
3 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4

syncing dropbox app

This problem just started. When I create a file in dropbox on the computer, and then try to work on it on my android phone, the word app on the phone says this is an old format, and it makes me create a new copy of the original file.So then I wind up with two identical files in my dropbox folder.  Which can create problems. I have to be very careful as to which file I work on when I'm on the computer. It has to be the file I have been working on with the word app, obviously. The word app will only let me edit the "new" file. The old one is read only.  The solution is to delete in dropbox the original file, but this is a pain, and you have to remember to do it.  Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: syncing dropbox app

I'm afraid the issue isnt with Dropbox its with the app on your phone - it is that app after all which is reporting the file is old and needs updating.

Have you tried updating the software on your phone etc.? or speaking to the manufacturer of the software for advice?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

9 Replies
Solution
Super User II

I'm afraid the issue isnt with Dropbox its with the app on your phone - it is that app after all which is reporting the file is old and needs updating.

Have you tried updating the software on your phone etc.? or speaking to the manufacturer of the software for advice?

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 4

Thanks and I hear what you're saying, but word says the problem is with drop box. I deleted and reinstalled the word app without any success. By the way, if I create the file in the word app and save to drop box, I don't have a problem.
Super User II

I'm afraid Mark's correct. Dropbox has nothing to do with the format of your files. It just moves them back and forth as needed.

It really sounds like the Word app on your computer is either an older version or you're saving the files in a compatibility format (Word changed its file formats years ago, but you can still save in the older format). Have you looked at the save options in Word? You'll probably want to make sure that the files are being saved in the newer DOCX format.

Level 4

Thanks, Rich. Problem partially solved. I have Word 2007. Was saving to the default 2003 format. I started saving as "Microsoft Word" document on the computer. When I went to work on the file in the word app, which I only use on my android phone, the READ ONLY. ...MAKE A COPY IN THE NEW FORMAT.' still came up. I did so--it's easy on the app--and this time around, the old file in dropbox WAS deleted. So I only had one working file.  Do you have any suggestions as to how to completely solve the problem? Maybe this is the way the app works? Every time I edit a particular file on the computer, even when it has been initially saved to MICROSOFT WORD DOCUMENT, vs the old 2003 format, the app, when I go to it to work on the file,  asks me to make a new copy. It comes up READ ONLY. Interestingly, if I make changes to a dropbox file on the word app on my phone, when I go to work on the file on the computer, it always strangely comes up in a multipage VIEW, which I then have to click to single (large) page view.  Any clues?  Again, thanks to you, and Mark.

Super User II

Its been a long time since I've used 2007, however, there used to be an option within the Preferences menu (on the computer) to specify what version to save as. Could you set the default as the 2003 version?

Level 4

HI Rich?

What do you mean by preferences.  There is no save as option for 2003 other than "save as word 97--2003 document."

That's the default save in word 2007. Thanks.

Super User II

Ah, there used to be but as I said it has been a long time since I used 2007.

May be worth asking MS for help?

Level 4

I think I'll just get a new computer with most recent word.  I'm due. 

I find microsoft support the absolute worst.

Thanks.

Super User II

hahaha!! Now there is a guy who has the same outlook as me.

I like it!! :D

Remember the sales will all be starting soon for Santa slightly smiling face