cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Accidental Team and I'm not Admin

New member | Level 2

A while back (years) I had an admin staff member move a few files on my computer into my dropbox when I was out of office. When I got back the path of my dropbox changed, so I changed it back.  Fast-forward to now - ends up I'm on a Team with a former student and my former student is the Admin.  I'm still paying the bill and my student hasn't acccessed the account at all, but I would like to switch it back to personal.

Can I just leave the team?  I have a bunch of new folders, files, and shared folders over the years and don't want to mess anything up...

Tags (1)
8 Replies

Re: Accidental Team and I'm not Admin

Dropboxer

Hey @richard21, I hope you're having a good start to the week so far!

When you visit your Plan page here, can you let me know what subscription you see associated with your account there?

I'm wondering if you're part of a paid business team, or if you are on a free team with a personal subscription (Dropbox Plus or Professional).

If you have a personal subscription under a free team, then you can leave the team without being an admin using these steps here.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

I'm on a personal plus plan:

Dropbox Plus 2 TB

You’re a member of the Dissertation Dropbox account.

Your Dropbox Plus - 2TB plan will renew on April 4, 2020.

But, when I leave the team, will the admin member have access to any folders I've created since the team was created? All files and folders were created by me.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @richard21!

If you have folders named with "Team folder", or that have a building icon on the folder, I'd suggest to make a copy of this before leaving the team as only admins keep team folders.

The admin will only have access to any of those folders if you have specifically shared the folders with them.

If you wish to remove them from any shared content, you can do so with the steps outlined here.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I am in a team as a member and the admin isn't getting around to removing me. How can I remove myself - every path leads to "only an admin or manager can remove team members." I tried follwing the steps here https://help.dropbox.com/teams-admins/team-member/account-deleted-from-team but there is no "leave team" option offered at any point. I'm using Chrome.

Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @adrayer!

The situation mentioned above would apply if you were part of a free team, which is a state that occurs when a team downgrades from the paid business plan.

If you're part of an active paid business subscription, then I'm afraid the only way to be removed is by the admin.

To check if this is the case, can you go to your plan page here and let me know what subscription you see there?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

I don't have any way to go to the plan page because I'm not an admin on the team....  tricky, right? It's a pretty terrible architecture flaw that team members can't remove themselves. I've always preferred Google to Dropbox and stuff like this is exactly why. It's totally messing up the other collaborations I'm trying to do to file them under this team I'm not part of anymore and can't get removed from. Your platform is really earning all 1 star for me right now.  I'm quitting Dropbox altogether and will only collaborate with clients on Google from here on out. I'm sure they'll appreciate the cost it takes to migrate.

Explorer | Level 4

try https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan (without the s on the above link). it will tell you your plan detail then.

Dropboxer

Hey again @adrayer, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with this!

You should be able to access your plan page, as this is just within your own account settings regardless of your current subscription.

I wish that I could provide you with another solution, but if you're plan page shows "Dropbox Business Standard/Advanced", I'm afraid there isn't anything more I can offer.

If you're having trouble with contacting the admin of the team, then you can reach out to our Support team to see if they can assist with facilitating your removal.

They will still need to have permission from the admin, but maybe this could help.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Accidental Team and I'm not Admin
8 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post