Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Build folder template with Permissions

Explorer | Level 3

I am beginning to implement the group permission settings in Business and am working my way through assigning permissions in the folder levels.  I have already built user groups (DropBox Admin, Administration and Technician suffice for now) and am working through applying these user groups to my folders.  My folder structure is below:

Projects Folder/Individual Project

The Projects folder and Individual Project folder both have DropBox Admin and Administration added with edit rights.  Inside of the Individual Project folders I have several sub folders but only about half of which I want to have Technician Access.  I have assigned them access in the folders that are already created.

These Individual Project folders are regularly getting added and I would like to avoid having to administer permissions on this every time one is created.  I created a template of the folder structure and assigned permissions however when I copy the template and paste it within the Projects Folder it only has the permissions of the parent.  Is there a way to retain the folder permissions of this template folder?

3 Replies

Re: Build folder template with Permissions

Dropboxer
Hey Dave (@DaveWilliams), as a very quick point of reference you could reference this post that would help you assign permissions to groups & best organize your folder-structure. From there Dave, just so as to make sure I’m following-up with you correctly, can you let me know whether you’re seeing a purple folder with a person icon, as the one you can see here

Once I have this detail, I’ll do my best to further address your inquiry. Thanks & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane,

I had found and followed that guide on the implementation of groups and used it for setting up my groups.

I also took a look and the puple folder with the person symbol is only present on my personal folders whcih I am not concened with sharing inside of the team.

Below is a detail of how i currently have it configured

Projects Folder/Individual Projects/Photos   (Groups, DropBox Admin, Administration, Technician)

Projects Folder/Individual Projects/Documents   (Groups, DropBox Admin, Administration, Technician)

Projects Folder/Individual Projects/Programming   (Groups, DropBox Admin, Administration, Technician)

Projects Folder/Individual Projects/Invoices   (Groups, DropBox Admin, Administration)

Projects Folder/Individual Projects/Proposals   (Groups, DropBox Admin, Administration)

Projects Folder/Individual Projects/Purchases   (Groups, DropBox Admin, Administration)

In my existing folders this is done and working.

What I am concerned about is maintaining this going forward.  I hoped to develop a template folder structure inside of Projects Folder/Individual Project that would have all of the folders with the pertinent permisions.  When new projects are created I would like to be able to copy andy paste this template and maintain the group permissions rather than having to go into each new project folder and assign this each time a new project is started.

Dropboxer
I appreciate your detailed message Dave (@DaveWilliams); I have to admit that I was impressed by the way you’ve setup your sharing permissions; let's take it from where we've left off! 

the puple folder with the person symbol is only present on my personal folders whcih I am not concened with sharing inside of the team.
That’s absolutely right Dave; I’m merely asking, so as to determine whether you’re working on our new Dropbox Business setup, however it's clearer to me now that your request pertains to automating the process moving forward.

Kindly note that currently it’s not possible to assign a pre-specified set of permissions to a newly created directory, however I’ve already made sure to add your voice to the feedback we’re gathering internally for future iterations. 

I remain at your entire disposal should you have any follow-up inquiries or in case you need any further assistance in any way. Thanks again for checking in with us on the Community & have a lovely rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Build folder template with Permissions
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post