Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Cant move/delete file and syncing is not working

Level 3

I recently joined a Business account, and reorganized some of the folders, deleting some old files. But Dropbox keeps a error message that a file ( a file I can not longer see on my local folder or dropbox.com ), can not be moved, and the syncing process is hanged up on that file, not syncing all the remaining files.

Thanks for your help.

edit1.pngedit2.png

12 Replies

Re: Cant move/delete file and syncing is not working

Dropboxer
Hey there @delbonete,

As a first step, could I ask if you have tried closing and then restarting the desktop app? To close the app you can do the following:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar.
  2. Click the gear icon.
  3. Choose “Quit Dropbox”.
Afterwards, you can relaunch the app from the Applications menu. Should the app give you the same error message again, let me know if you see the folder you are trying to move still on the web in the original location or if it was moved.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 3

Thanks Daphne. Unfortunately, I´ve already tried restarting the app, an also restarting the computer. Still no luck. I´m stuck with the same error message.

Dropboxer
👋 Hey @delbonete, I’m not sure whether this addresses your inquiry, however based on a search I ran on my end, I could see that the message could be triggered if someone’s trying to move items out of the team space. 

It would be worth noting that when you move a folder into the team space, you’re sharing it with your Dropbox Business team and transferring ownership of that folder to your team. This means you no longer own the folder, and therefore cannot remove the folder from anywhere within the team space. 

Since removing the folder from the team space would remove it for all members, an admin on the team is the only one who can move a folder out of the team space.

For this reason, can you please check that your settings from the Admin Console regarding "Top-level editing" are set appropriately? You can do so from either your "Content" tab or your "Settings" > "Top-level editing" option. 

If your settings are set appropriately nonetheless, could you please try to copy the folder to the desired location instead? 

Nevertheless, if you’re still getting this issue, I’d appreciate it if you included a step-by-step description of what led you to this error, so as to further advise. Thanks again! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3
Thanks for your reply @Jane.
I'm aware of the Team space sharing permissions. But I'm the person who create the team folders and the person who actually deleted the file mentioned on the error message. Actually, the file is not longer available, neither on my macbook, my phone, my teammates devices or dropbox.com
As I've mentioned on my above first message, when I joined Dropbox Business (just 3 users, I have administrator privileges) I've created four top-level folders. Then I've moved different files from my personal dropbox folder, to those four folders. Afterwards, I've moved some of the files creating new subfolders and deleted some unnecessary files. At some point of the sync, the error message came out and the sync hanged. Restarting wont work.
Thanks.

Dropboxer
I appreciate your prompt update here @delbonete! Now, let me focus a bit more closely on the actions you performed on your end, in order to ensure I’m guiding you correctly. 

As you’ve mentioned that you tried moving the some of the files into sub-folders & deleted some files you didn’t need, I’m wondering if you tried moving any of your content to your desktop or to your purple folder. If you wish to move items currently placed on a Team Folder, you should do so through the Content tab on your admin console. 

Once you locate the Team Folder you’d like to modify, click on the 💬 icon next to folder you wish to move & click on Move. This will load your folder structure, thus indicating all the possible locations you could place it.

Please let me know how this works for you or I’ve misunderstood anything along the way & I’ll do my best to touch-base with you soon. Thanks again! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3
Thanks @Jane.
Actually, I did not moved any content to my desktop or purple personal folder. I've moved the files from my purple folder to the Team folder in to different folders. That action went ok. The problem occurs when I've deleted a .zip file located in a subfolder in the team folder. The file was actually deleted (I can not access it anymore neither in my computer or devices, or in dropbox.com web) but the application is still trying to sync it, with the error attached in my first message, and hanging the sync completely. Yet after restarting several times.

Dropboxer

So since you see that the action was completed online, I would recommend to unlink your desktop app and relink it by signing back into the app after launching it. This should help with getting the sync to run again as normal.  

Once you have signed in, if you have the Dropbox folder in another location rather than the default, you will need to go to the “Advanced settings” prior to clicking “Open my Dropbox folder”  to choose the correct location. Doing this will ensure that the app doesn’t attempt to re-sync all your files in another location and instead index the files in the folder you already have.

Let me know if this helps - Thanks!

Daphne

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 3

thanks @Daphne thak worked perfect.

Level 3

Hi again. The problem was solved, but now, once again, I´ve deleted a PDF in my team folder and the same error message appear and the sync is not completing. Quiting dropbox app and restarting the computer does not correct the problem. There´s any other solution rather than unlinking (again) the device and linking it (again) ?

Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 15.png

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Cant move/delete file and syncing is not working
12 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post