Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Re: Cant move/delete file and syncing is not working

Dropboxer
Hey again @delbonete,

Can you just clarify for me if you simply deleted the file from your Dropbox folder, or were you trying to move the file to another location on your computer like the error message displays? Also, are you able to still see the file you attempted to delete from your Dropbox folder and your account online?

Looking forward to your reply - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne. I was just trying to delete the file (not move it). The file was actually deleted. I´m not able to see the file either on my computer nor on the online account.

Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying that for me @delbonete.

As a last step, can you try an advanced re-installation of the desktop app. The steps to do this are in the spoiler below:

More information
  1. If running, quit Dropbox.
    1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
    2. Click the gear icon, and select Quit Dropbox.
  2. Uninstall Dropbox.
    1. Open your Finder and click Applications.
    2. Locate the Dropbox app and drag and drop it to the Trash. Or, right-click the Dropbox app icon and select Move to Trash.
  3. When the uninstall finishes, restart your computer.
  4. Delete the remaining Dropbox system folders.
    • Don't type commands by hand.
    • When prompted, enter your computer admin password (not your Dropbox password) and press enter.
    • Important: We assume that your Dropbox folder is in the default pathway. If you have placed your Dropbox folder in a custom location, replace all ~/Dropbox with the full location of your Dropbox folder in quotation marks. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path /Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox, you need to replace ~/Dropbox from the following instructions to "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox".
    1. Open your Finder and click Applications.
    2. Open your Terminal application.
    3. Copy and paste the following lines one at a time into the terminal. Press enterafter each one.
sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"
sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox
sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox
sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old
sudo chmod -N ~
sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old
  1. Get the newest version of the Dropbox desktop app. Download now.
  2. Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the installation file and double-click it.
  3. Apply any selective sync settings you had before the reinstall.
  4. Select the Dropbox folder location, if not in the default location.
    • Important: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to. If you don't you'll create a new Dropbox folder and start to download your content again.
    1. To select your established Dropbox folder on your drive, click Advanced Settings after choosing which folders to sync.
    2. Then choose the parent folder of your already established Dropbox folder. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path /Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox, select the folder /Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox.
Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

So we just switched to dropbox business after a year o using dropbox personal. We have daily scripts that process XML files uploaded to dropbox, once processing is done, another script move the files to a local folder in the server.

Lo and behold, after moving the files, dropbox magically restore them, making our exisiting process useless.

Now I wont be recommending dropbox business to anyone.

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Cant move/delete file and syncing is not working
13 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post