Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Deleting a team member and their files when they aren't an owner.

Explorer | Level 3

I have a team member that I deleted and moved their files to my folder. When I look at what they have I see that they only have files shared with them and they aren't the owner of any of the files. If I delete their files/folders will other team members lose access to any of the shared documents?

Thank you,

Terri

3 Replies

Re: Deleting a team member and their files when they aren't an owner.

Dropboxer

Hi there @thaswell

That's right, when content from a previously deleted member's account is transfered, ownership of shared folders that they had is also applied. 

In general, if you delete a file in a shared folder, it'll be deleted for other members. You can find more info about this here

If you don't want to have access to these shared foldes, you can remove yourself as shown in this article

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the quick response! I was asking about a member that wasn't an owner (they only have files shared with them and they aren't the owner of any of the files.)I just removed myself from the list of who it was shared with and that seems to have done the trick. Thx!

Dropboxer

Glad to hear that, @thaswellgrinning face with smiling eyes

I just wanted to clarify that if a member of a shared folder has edit permissions, even though they may not be the owner, they can change the contents of the folder (including deleting items) and those changes will sync for others. 

If you have any other questions in the future, don't hesitate to get back to me. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Deleting a team member and their files when they aren't an owner.
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post