cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't Save, Need to Recover File

Didn't Save, Need to Recover File

kevinstaake
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there. I'd been working on an Excel doc on desktop Dropbox and accidentally closed the program without saving. Now I've lost 4 hours of progress and can only restore to the version I last saved at 2pm yesterday. Isn't Dropbox supposed to autosave versions every few minutes? Please send help asap! Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@kevinstaake), sorry to hear that you couldn’t locate the file version you were looking for. As an initial pointer, I’d suggest checking back at the Version History of the file in question on your account online (tip: it’s on the on the 💬 of your excel). From there, I’m wondering if the version you’re looking for was saved back on the Recents of the app you used to modify your spreadsheet. Can you have a second look on whether this applies? 

It may be worth mentioning that Dropbox is a syncing tool that mirrors ( :computer: :play_button: :spider_web:️ :play_button: :iphone:) any changes made to your content on your account online & across your devices Kevin, whereas the Autosave functionality pertains specifically to the third party app you used to edit your spreadsheet. 

In any event, please do keep me updated here on the results you’re getting on your end & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks again for posting your question on our Community! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@kevinstaake), sorry to hear that you couldn’t locate the file version you were looking for. As an initial pointer, I’d suggest checking back at the Version History of the file in question on your account online (tip: it’s on the on the 💬 of your excel). From there, I’m wondering if the version you’re looking for was saved back on the Recents of the app you used to modify your spreadsheet. Can you have a second look on whether this applies? 

It may be worth mentioning that Dropbox is a syncing tool that mirrors ( :computer: :play_button: :spider_web:️ :play_button: :iphone:) any changes made to your content on your account online & across your devices Kevin, whereas the Autosave functionality pertains specifically to the third party app you used to edit your spreadsheet. 

In any event, please do keep me updated here on the results you’re getting on your end & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks again for posting your question on our Community! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

HLMJ
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am hoping someone can help me-- I was working on a Mac Word document stored on Dropbox all morning-- about 3.5 hours of work-- and I have autosave and know I saved it multiple times.  My computer froze up and we ended up having to do a reboot of it. When the computer started up, I noticed none of the work I did today was saved-- neither on Dropbox or my computer-- only yesterday's version is present on Dropbox and it's listed as the most current version. I've checked my delete file and previous versions on both desktop and Dropbox.  Is there anything else I can do before re-writing?  

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@HLMJ), sorry to hear about your missing edits; kindly note I’ve moved your post under this discussion here, just in order to ping you on my pointers above. Would you mind having a look at my previous comment & let me know whether any of those apply in your current situation?

Now, as you’ve mentioned that you’ve already checked the Version History of the file in question & this wasn’t updated online, I’m wondering if everything else is working correctly. Have you checked whether other files were updated as expected on your Mac :desktop:/on your account online within the same timeframe? Are you running the latest version of your OS & Word on your Mac? 

Please do let me know of your findings in your next message & we’ll take it from there!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

HLMJ
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane, thanks for the response. I am running 10.14.3 on my Mac and I'm pretty sure my Word is up-to-date. My IT dept looked into everything too and they can't find a trace of any updates between about 9 AM and noon when my system crashed. We ran a data recovery program overnight and it's only got my Wednesday draft and the work I did after it crashed to try to rewrite it. It's the weirdest thing.  If we can't find it, I'll rewrite it all but it does make me nervous about using Dropbox--even though I've used it for a longtime and love it. I'm not sure there's anything that can be done to recover my file at your end?  Thanks! H

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@HLMJ wrote:

I am hoping someone can help me-- I was working on a Mac Word document stored on Dropbox all morning-- about 3.5 hours of work-- and I have autosave and know I saved it multiple times.

If you had autosave enabled in Word and saved multiple times, that version of the file would still be on your local drive. Dropbox has nothing to do with that process. The versions that Dropbox can recover would be the files that Dropbox synced to your account online. If Dropbox didn't sync them, then they either weren't in your Dropbox folder or the file was never saved, and it certainly sounds like the file wasn't saving as you thought it was.

... but it does make me nervous about using Dropbox

Don't be. This has nothing to do with Dropbox. If the file was saved in the Dropbox folder, and Dropbox was able to access it, Dropbox would sync it. The fact that you couldn't find the file on your drive indicates that Word wasn't saving it.

Double-check that you have the Autosave feature enabled in Office.

HLMJ
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

>If you had autosave enabled in Word and saved multiple times, that version of the file would still be on your local drive.

I do and I did. It's all very strange. I've decided to spend the time re-writing and hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the help! H

gwrevare
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Today I was editing a Microsoft Word file. I saved then closed the file, then opened it again to find it had reverted to a version from 6 hours ago. 

There is nothing under version history besides one from earlier today (6 hours ago) and one last night. The entire day's work has been erased. I'm certain I was connected to the internet, and I saved multiple times while editing. The DB events list shows the above versions, nothing recent. Windows' internal "Restore previous versions" feature is empty. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @gwrevare, kindly note that I moved your inquiry under this discussion, just so as to point you to the initial checks we’ve included on our posts with Rich. That said, if you haven’t been able to locate the version you’re looking for in Version History, then your best next step should checking whether you can retrieve your missing edits within Microsoft Word’s Recents. 

Please have a look my suggestions at your earliest convenience & let me know how you get on with these steps or if you have further questions in your next reply here. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

gwrevare
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the help. So far, no solution. I've tried Microsoft's recover unsaved changes (blank) and previous versions (also blank) 

Microsoft support's service says:

"Version history in Office only works for files stored in OneDrive or SharePoint Online. If you don't see this option it's possible your file is stored in a different service or on a local device."

Is this true? Does Microsoft's version history not work at all if your file is stored in dropbox?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lisaw123 New member | Level 2
    Tamie Helpful | Level 5
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    rcookney New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?