Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox Consumes 40% or more of CPU

Level 2

We have a real problem using Dropbox for Business. We have a brand new server just serving files and put Dropbox for Business on it and the app now consumes 40% or more of the CPU 24 hours a day. We notice that this app is only 32 bit so doesn't really take advantage of the 64 bit architecture of Windows Server (16 core, 32gb RAM, i7, etc.). This machine screams usually but ever since Dropbox we are crawling.

Any thoughts on an update or a new Dropbox that really works in a business environment?

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox Consumes 40% or more of CPU

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, first of all, I’d like to note that Dropbox doesn’t officially support running on a server environment.

The article above might help explain some of the issues you’re experiencing.

Aside from that, try checking out this article about high CPU usage, as it would also be helpful in determining where the issue lies.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Thank you for the reply and the good information. However, we moved our individual version to the server because we were experiencing the same issues on other client computers. We would never run the business version on a client computer - it's our admin acount for a business service. We assume that it is DESIGNED to run on a server. Running the admin account on a client is just dumb.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
There isn’t a need to run the admin account on normal computers, the other computers can just use their normal Dropbox Business team member accounts, which will have access to the team and shared folders they’re invited to.

As to the high CPU usage, are you using Smart Sync on that machine? Are the files local or marked as online-only?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox Consumes 40% or more of CPU
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post