Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Highlighted

Editing a file or folder isn't updating the original file in the admin folder. What should I do?

New member | Level 2

Im not sure if dropbox is capable of what i want it to do in our businesss but i thought id ask fellow business to see if they have found a way.

• Problem: editing a file or folder is not updating the original file in the admin folder. 
  • What we are doing: as an admin we want to change a file that’s originally in my folder. Once the folder or document is shared to a team folder, the team member can view and make changes which only occur in that team folder. 
  • What’s not happening: once the team member has altered the document in his team folder it is not updating the original file location on the admins folder, only in the team folder. 
  • Does dropbox system actually do this?

Or once the folder is edit changed or updated in the team folder, those changes only stay in the team folder? Or do they update the original folder?

1 Reply

Re: team folders group folders

Dropboxer
Hey there @keanepopuphome,

So from what I understand, you have 2 copies of a file; one in the “admin” folder and one in the “team” folder, is that correct?

Currently this isn’t a function within Dropbox to have an edited file then update another version of the file elsewhere in the account. There is no way to “link” the files so that the system can see the changes in one place and reflect this in another, the files are essentially just separate copies.

Hope this clarifies the matter, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Editing a file or folder isn't updating the original file in the admin folder. What should I do?
1 Reply
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post