Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Folders/files randomly become read only in team folders

Level 3

Twice in the last month we have had files inside Team Folders that are shared with all 11 team members with Edit permissions become Read Only despite still showing as Edit. Any thoughts? Seems to affect Excel files in the main. 

4 Replies

Re: Folders/files randomly become read only in team folders

Dropboxer
Hey shaunfest, that’s an interesting report & thanks for sharing here, let’s check what’s happening together!

For starters, here are some preliminary checks that would help us narrow down the possible causes: 

• Are users opening the same file?  Do they experience this behavior with all excel files under that team folder or just some? [Note: the reason for the 'read only' message could be that their device is saving the doc in question as ‘My file.doc', whereas on a different device it could be saved as 'My file.docx.’, where we’re talking about different file formats. (.doc and .docx). This suggestion was previously posted here. ] 
  • As I was searching around, I saw that other users had reported it when they had upgraded their OS (despite it being an older discussion, it might point you towards the right direction if there’s a pending update or a recent one that could have affected your team in any way). 
  • If I were in your shoes, I’d ensure that all devices are running the latest Stable Dropbox version (54.4.90), all OS updates have been carried & I’m using the most updated Office version. 
  • Of course, if you’re getting any error messages, I’d appreciate a screenshot here, so as to have a look with you. Additionally, if there’s any other detail that could be helpful, please include it in your next message, in order to get a better understanding. 
Thanks a lot or taking the time to look into that in more depth with me & I’ll be awaiting your next message here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3
Hi Jane,

Apologies for the delay coming back to you, I have been away on my holidays!

The issue with files opening as Read Only appears to be with .xlsx spread sheet files only. We use these a lot and it is really becoming an issue. We use a template .xltx as the starting point for all spread sheets, this has to be opened as Read Only and then saved as a .xlsx file. Could this be the source of the problem?

Shaun

Level 2

I am also having this issue. I used to be able to open the excel spreadsheet, make changes and save it. Now when I open the file, it says that it is a read-only file.

WHY??

Dropboxer
Hey @Jack216, thanks for pinging me here on this matter! Following your post here, I can see that you’ve already submitted a ticket via our Official Support channel & you’ve been discussing this discrepancy with my colleague at the moment. While I’ve made sure to include a copy of your comments on your ongoing correspondence, kindly note that it would be best for you to continue working on that via this channel, as we have direct access to your account specifics on our tools there. 

I hope that this gets resolved soon for you & I’m always here in case there’s anything else I can do to help you. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Folders/files randomly become read only in team folders
4 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post