Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Free Account to Business Sharing Issue

New member | Level 2

Hi, 

Our team has been using a free version of Dropbox to share all files and folders. We just upgraded to a business account. There is now a purple "personal" folder that each person sees - this folder holds ALL of our previously-shared files. Will we still be able to share/edit/add new files to the folders that are within the purple folder? Is this the best way to proceed? (Check out the screenshot)

Dropbox Example.png

Should we move the previously-shared files OUTSIDE of the purple folder (so they become blue folders), and if so, how do we do this? Does one person move them and then they'll move for everyone? Will there be duplicates if I move them out of my personal folder into the shared space?

Thanks!

1 Reply

Re: Free Account to Business Sharing Issue

Dropboxer
Hey there @BeGirlHannah

Initially, please note that I removed personal info included in your screenshot for security and privacy purposes as per our Community Guidelines

Moving on to your questions though:

@BeGirlHannah wrote:

Will we still be able to share/edit/add new files to the folders that are within the purple folder?

Of course, the purple folder means that this folder is your team member folder, it's visible only to you and its contents can be shared. This also means that already shared folders will continue to be shared with other users. 

@BeGirlHannah wrote:

Should we move the previously-shared files OUTSIDE of the purple folder (so they become blue folders), and if so, how do we do this?

You can move shared folders outside of your purple folder if you want to. To do this:
  1. Sign into the website. 
  2. Go to the shared folder you want to move and hover over it. 
  3. Mark it with a tick by clicking on the box that appears on the left of the folder.
  4. Select Move from the options listed on the right of the screen. 
  5. Select the top level of your team from the pop up window that appears. 
  6. Click Move

@BeGirlHannah wrote:

Does one person move them and then they'll move for everyone? Will there be duplicates if I move them out of my personal folder into the shared space?

If you move them from your purple folder and the other users:
  • Are part of your team, then the shared folder will move for them as well.
  • Are not part of your team, then the shared folder will not move for them. 
Also, when you move a file or a folder, it's like cutting-pasting from one location to another. As such, there shouldn't be any duplicates. 

Finally, you can find more info on team space and member folders here

Hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Free Account to Business Sharing Issue
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post