Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Having third parties upload into a shared/team folder

Level 2

Hello, I managed a dropbox business account that involves a bunch of people outside of our team being able to upload into a folder, and am wondering the best way to do this. If I were to do a shared folder and invite each individual (say 15 people), will they be able to upload into that folder if, say, they only have 1GB of personal dropbox space, or will the fact that it is a huge folder (30+GB) prevent them? To this point, once we're done working with them, I will then want to revoke their access to the folder. Can this be done with a shared folder if someone has already joined it? Thanks

5 Replies

Re: Having third parties upload into a shared/team folder

Dropboxer

Hey there @dnelson09  - how are you today?

As shared folders count towards all members' accounts' quota, I'd suggest using a shared link to the folder in question for them to access and download (and possibly work on) the files in question and then have them upload their edits to your account through a file request (which you'll have to open from your end).  Read on for more information:

In both shared folders and team folders, any additions, edits, or deletions that a member of the folder makes will sync to everyone else who's a member of that folder.

There are a couple differences between shared and team folders. Team folders automatically give functional groups the correct access level (view or edit) to the content they need. Unlike team folders, shared folders can be shared with individual members.

Shared and team folders are also created differently. Only an Admin on your account can create a team folder, as team folders can only be made from within the Admin Console. This means that you can't convert an existing folder into a team folder.

Finally, it's important to note that you can't share a team folder outside of your team. In sub-folders of team folders individual team members and people outside the team can collaborate along with team members in groups.

To learn more about shared folders and team folders, check out our Help Center:

Shared folders - https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share-with-others

Team folders - https://help.dropbox.com/business/team-folders

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Thanks Walter, file requests were exactly the thing I was looking for. After reading through the guides on it, my only remaining question re: file requests for specific folders, if I have several nested folders and I made a file request for the main parent folder, they will be able to access all of the nested folders as well wont they?

Dropboxer

No, they won't @dnelson09  - not even the folder you've specified for your file requests to go to (they would be able to see the folder in question only if you shared the same folder with a shared link). Using the file requests feature, they'd be only uploading files to your account (and to the folder you've specified).

I hope this clears this up a tad while I remain at your disposal should you have any more questions. Just let me know here and I'll be happy to follow up!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Ok, thank you Walter. This throws a wrench into things. I am going to call support as now my query is getting fairly specific. Thanks.

Dropboxer

Glad I could help - at least to some extent @dnelson09!

Since, to my understanding at least, you're the Admin of the team,  you should be able to reach us through the Help tab under your Admin's Console. To do this, simply: 

1. Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin account.
2. Click “Admin Console.”
3. Click the “Help” tab.

[If you’re contacting us by phone, have your eight-digit PIN ready. If you don’t have a PIN, click the “Generate PIN” button on the “Help” page.]

Have a lovely week ahead!

Note: We only provide phone support to admins of Dropbox Business teams on the Advanced and Enterprise plans, and for Dropbox Education teams. If you’re a member of one of these teams but you're not an admin, you can ask the admin of your team to call us on your behalf.

Walter

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Having third parties upload into a shared/team folder
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post